Carfax repot question

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
I am looking at this local ‘06 FGT, it would be my first big car purchase. I had a question regarding the Carfax report. The listing markets the car as a “one owner” car. The Carfax shows it as a 5 owner car. I spoke with the seller and he said the first owner kept transferring it between different businesses he owns for some reason. The second owner would be the company that is listing it. My question is, does this make sense and does it raise any red flags? Do you see anything else in the Carfax that looks off? Thanks for the help! Here is the link to the report: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=aan_0&vin=1fafp90s26y400766

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Most people keep all the paperwork for their GT's. Ask to see all the paperwork from day one.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I see Quebec as the initial motor vehicle registration. Presumably imported to US as it was registered in Little Rock Ark by a dealer. Then moves to Cassandra Motors (presume the seller). I would find out who the dealer was in Little Rock and determine who imported it to the U.S from Canada. Some due diligence is required.

Last edited:

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
I see Quebec as the initial motor vehicle registration. Presumably imported to US as it was registered in Little Rock Ark by a dealer. Then moves to Cassandra Motors (presume the seller). I would find out who the dealer was in Little Rock and determine who imported it to the U.S from Canada.

Thank you for the response. What is the significance of finding out who imported it? Is it to make sure it was done correctly?

Reactions: Art138

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! Good luck with your search (y) Also, I sent you a private message. If you're on a PC, click on the envelope at the upper-right to see "Conversations".

Reactions: Vinithing

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Have Rich The GT Guy or Scott Alhman, who is close by, take a look at this for you. Odd to me that it went from an owned car to a leased car. Also odd that the dealer in SE sold it to another dealer in Wisc. Proceed carefully until you can get satisfactory to you answers.

Reactions: HNS

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
There is a car for sale at 430k with 1500 miles in the states. Id stay away from Canadian cars.

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
Have Rich The GT Guy or Scott Alhman, who is close by, take a look at this for you. Odd to me that it went from an owned car to a leased car. Also odd that the dealer in SE sold it to another dealer in Wisc. Proceed carefully until you can get satisfactory to you answers.
Do you have the contact info for Scott?
Thanks!

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
There is a car for sale at 430k with 1500 miles in the states. Id stay away from Canadian cars.
Why would you stay away from Canadian cars?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HNS

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is no reason to stay away fro Canadian cars other than the few differences for the Canadian market regulations. Carfax only reports what has gone through normal channels. If someone paid cash for a repair other than Ford, no insurance company involvement, it would not show up on Carfax. This is the main reason you want an expert to to do an on site inspection.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Why would tou stay away from Canadian cars?

Harder to sell down the road. Few differences including gauge cluster and lack of Mac Stereo (actually a plus for me) and ugly overextended bumper.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Harder to sell down the road. Few differences including gauge cluster and lack of Mac Stereo (actually a plus for me) and ugly overextended bumper.
The one he's looking at has had the rear bumper moved in close like US cars. I'd also prefer the Base Stereo due to the small storage bin in place of the big subwoofer between the seats.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, IMO there is no rational reason why a Canadian car should be any less desirable than a US car. The bumper was spaced out with spacers which are trivial to remove. The exhaust is the same as US cars. Always-on headlights (Canada requirement) is not difficult to convert back to US spec.

Reactions: drilling and HNS

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, IMO there is no rational reason why a Canadian car should be any less desirable than a US car. The bumper was spaced out with spacers which are trivial to remove. The exhaust is the same as US cars. Always-on headlights (Canada requirement) is not difficult to convert back to US spec.
Agreed. No rational reason but just a stigma.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Something sounds fishy to me. As a former resident of Quebec. Every time you change ownership you have to pay the sales tax again based on the invoice price or the Book value, whichever is highest. If they transferred between companies, then they would have to pay sales tax and GST taxes, which in Quebec is 15%. Makes no sense.. Unless they are trying to wash something out of its history like a "Salvage" or "rebuild".

Caveat emptor

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
Something sounds fishy to me. As a former resident of Quebec. Every time you change ownership you have to pay the sales tax again based on the invoice price or the Book value, whichever is highest. If they transferred between companies, then they would have to pay sales tax and GST taxes, which in Quebec is 15%. Makes no sense.. Unless they are trying to wash something out of its history like a "Salvage" or "rebuild".

Caveat emptor
Thank you, interesting. Is there any way for me to dig deeper into the salvage or rebuild possibility?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Caveat emptor

I agree with an earlier response that this is most likely a corporate entity moving the chess piece from one place to another to maximize tax benefits. It was some CEO's "Company Car". I don't know how things are in Canada but a paper transfer from related entities isn't a sale.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I prefer and located a standard radio car when I purchased my '06 brand new. The reason there are options is so people can have preferences.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Most people keep all the paperwork for their GT's. Ask to see all the paperwork from day one.

Yes, if the story is backed up by the paperwork, the paperwork is legitimate, and the story makes sense, and you are comfortable with all of that, than proceed. If not, keep looking.

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
I know the name of the company that bought the car originally. They had a Ford dealer put a stage 1 kit on it. Could I use that name to find out more history on the car?