Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
recaro seats

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks. At my size, Recaro's are typically too tight, so good to know. Even the stock seats are a little narrow for me.

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I have a GT-R and owned it from new...bought a year ago.

The car is a superb everyday car but have found that the minute you take it on track it becomes apparent that the car is in fact made of cheese.

Very expensive to maintain (in the UK anyhow) fluids in the gearbox need changing due to excessive heat on track when not driven particularly hard. Discs and pads needed replacing after 6000 miles and 6 months (only did one track day)

The transmission is womewhat clunky and not a patch on the V8 M3 although a quicker change.

All in all I love it and will be replacing it for a new one one day.

P1020051.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Front and rear diff coolers, tranny cooler ,willall tranny and diff fluids.Ap racing rotors (slotted) with racing pads and fluid .Toyo 888r compounds
All this and the car is bullet proof on the track.No trans overheating .Hint drive with the VDC in off mode .
I lapped the Porsche instructor group at 2 different events.
No they were not parked !!

Tecnocraft

Sep 29, 2010
Pico Rivera, CA
2009 Nissan GT-R with a lot of pre preg carbon fiber panels. Hood, roof, trunk, wing, wider fenders, front bumper, rear diffuser, side skirts. Because we are fanatical fans of carbon fiber, our shop cars are the same.

Lotus Elise, also carbon out the ying yang.

Tan

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So my 2010 is sold and going to Houston texas!
I made my deposit on a 2012 gtr monday .Only 403 Gtr black editions for the US
check these out !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvEmB8xF-CU&annotation_id=annotation_432036&feature=iv
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1101_2012_nissan_gt_r_us_spec_drive/index.html
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46414
The car is even more unreal now !
0-60 in 2.7!!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Looks great. Is the only difference with the Black edition the seats and some carbon trim? If so, doesn't sound that different than standard.
Any idea when the first 2012's will be available in the US?
Are they discounting at all of MSRP at your dealer, or is that a silly question?

Last edited:

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
Have any of you owned a Nissan GT-R?

Hey, Jess. I have an original 2009 GT-R and simply love it. In deciding between that and a 'Vette, I wanted the GT-R for both is relative scarcity and because, prior to the ZR1, none of the (stock) Vettes could touch it, and even the ZR1 (arguably) only achieves performance parity while costing about 50% more (2009-2010 figures). And, while perhaps not the head turner that the Ford GT is, the Nissan certainly gets its fair shair of admirers, especially among performance enthusiasts.

As a daily driver, both cars probably do well, but as I live in the midwest, I gave a lot of weight to the advantages of the AWD for inclement weather conditions. I've seen videos of people racing GT-Rs in road conditions where you'd have to be suicidal to venture out in a 600hp RWD vehicle! Admittedly, I don't generally elect to drive the GT-R in rain, let alone snow (I have a Ford Raptor for that!), but it's nice to know I could if I needed to.

And though I always thought the car was fast, I have to admit I'm both thrilled and dismayed to have seen the specs on the 2012 version... my creaky, old, '09 GT-R will soon be known as the "Pokey, slow version." The 2012 model handles better and can turn in consistent 0-60mph times of less than 2.8 seconds...with cold tires on cold pavement. Crikey! Two-wheel-drive street cars, please move to the shoulder. Neck brace optional.

Make me wonder how I might justify have two GT-Rs in the garage... ...along with the Ford GT/GTX1 I'm looking for!

-Kevin

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looks great. Is the only difference with the Black edition the seats and some carbon trim? If so, doesn't sound that different than standard.
Any idea when the first 2012's will be available in the US?
Are they discounting at all of MSRP at your dealer, or is that a silly question?

They are only producing 700 premiums and 403 Black editions.If you want one I would find the best deal and slap a deposit down. I am hoping for an April /may delivery. Florida may get them earlier.I got mine for 1500 over dealer invoice not including back up camera and the GTR floor mats.The total was 91k not including taxes
check out this thread.This forum has all the Gtr info you could want.
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45825

Last edited:

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
We may need to work together to come up with the right marketing campaign for those of us with '09 GT-R's who're drooling over the 2012 specs and the thought of a 2.7 sec, 0-60 case of whiplash.

So far, the best pitch I've come up with is: "You should probably get an '09 GT-R, because the new 2012 would make you wet your pants."

Might need some more work...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
We may need to work together to come up with the right marketing campaign for those of us with '09 GT-R's who're drooling over the 2012 specs and the thought of a 2.7 sec, 0-60 case of whiplash.

So far, the best pitch I've come up with is: "You should probably get an '09 GT-R, because the new 2012 would make you wet your pants."

Might need some more work...
Where are you located .Give me a state!
Have you done any track events in your GTR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKjPzm0o3U From New Hampshire motor speedway in my GTR

Last edited:

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
I'm in Ohio, and I've not taken the GT-R to a track yet. To be honest, I haven't really driven it hard at all; never even used the launch control (still on LC1).

(And, to be honest, I'm pretty attached to it. If I found myself unable to resist a 2012, I'd have to figure out a way to pitch having two GT-Rs to my wife!)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My wife says I have car issues!
I tell her it goes back to my childhood!

Last edited:

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Congratulations Rocketman!

I just got a VIN # for mine and an ETA of "3/11".

Jess

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Thanks for the info Kevin!

I've always been intrigued by the GT-R and the Skyline, but after all the hubub about tranmissions and warranty BS it put me off of them for years. Then I drove a 2009, and I was a true believer that the car is awesome.

Can't wait to get my hands on her. It rains a lot here in Houston, and I've totaled a Vette on the beltway here driving very sensibly in a downpour. I know exactly where you're coming from with the AWD. I had an old Eagle Talon AWD rocket (tweaked to run on 23psi of boost, among other mods) when I was in college.

I was seriously considering a ZR-1, but the dealers here have their heads up their asses. My rule is if after the second visit the lights aren't coming on that I'm trying to buy a car from them, it's time to move on.

Jess

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
BTW: I read somewhere, maybe Jalopnik or NAGTROC, that Nissan may offer "upgrades" to bring the 2009-2011 cars up to the 2012 specs. I'm not sure what that actually means, but at a minimum I would think maybe you get a re-flashed ECU for more boost and maybe the new LC4 launch control.

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
BTW: I read somewhere, maybe Jalopnik or NAGTROC, that Nissan may offer "upgrades" to bring the 2009-2011 cars up to the 2012 specs. I'm not sure what that actually means, but at a minimum I would think maybe you get a re-flashed ECU for more boost and maybe the new LC4 launch control.

That would be exciting news... but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. The last time I checked, the "master technician" at my local Nissan dealer didn't even know about any of the new launch control updates (at the time I just wanted to make sure he didn't flash mine from the stock LC1 without my permission).

H

HHGT

My wife says I have car issues!
I tell her it goes back to my childhood!

Better car issues than alcohol/drugs/women issues..

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
My 2 cents.

I owned a GT-R for aprox 6 weeks. Great car, but for me more of a race car type of ride. Used it as a daily driver but missed some of the creature comforts I was used to for an every day ride. Also beware that maintenance costs are up there with some exotics (trans fluid $90 a qt x aprox 10 qts, brake rotors need to be replaced when pads are changed, apox $5000). Suspension even in non sport mode is quite tight. Presently I am driving an R8 and find it more flexible as a daily driver.

Would I consider another GT-R ?, yes but only as a weekend or competition ride. Oters may disagree with my experience but hopefully this will provide other considerations before making a decision. If you want more details feel free to email me with a phone number and time to call (doccars@gmail.com).