Anyone Familiar With Noble Cars?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bring it to Homestead on Feb 18. Manny and I will be running our Exiges there.

Don- Did you get my PM?

Last edited:

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
You Have Mail!!

Chris,
Sent a PM just now.
Don:thumbsup

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
I am looking for a track day car and went to Ohio today to drive the Noble. Seems like a very capable track car, good torque, great handling. Thought maybe some of you guys might have one or be familiar with it.
Don

I am sorry that I have not seen this post. I have an 2006 Ultima Can Am 720. It is hands down the best track car I have driven. I have not driven too meny but so what.

Did I mention it is street legal?

Please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to give you my number.

Attachments

• ucanam09.jpg
    ucanam09.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 117

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I am currently taking a physics class. Last week we talked about inertia/momentum. An equations impulse=force X time. Modern cars have crumple zones built in to different areas of the car so that in a head on collision for example, the front end of the car crushes and absorbs the impact of the collision.

This greatly increases the Time component of the impulse equation. substantially lessening the impulse force felt by the occupants. I would have to believe that the Lotus being a certified US spec vehicle would, as all new cars sold, have this safety feature built in to the car structure. Sheet metal does help safety, if done properly. The Lotus also comes with air bags and other safety components that we might not be considering.

Vehicles that are not US spec are missing many of the components that our wonderful, all caring, all seeing government require for our safety.

Lotus meets this requirement, and at 2000lbs, amazing. There are now aftermarket kits that substantially pump up the hp.

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
Here is a link to my video. http://www.pistonheads.tv/clip1047

I never went above 70% of what the car can do because I only had about 20 miles on it. I let the f430 pass me because the driver was my old instructor and I wanted to find his line. It was really easy to catch him anytime I wanted.

I had a short day on the track because my AC compressor lines loosened up and were dragging on the track. Now that everytihng is tight again I will be back out soon.

here is another video that shows a GTR starting a race. It is quite impressive.

http://www.pistonheads.tv/clip1187

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Awesome, awesome car. Can you explain "street legal"? Is it registered as a kit car? If so is it hard to do in your state? Thanks.

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
Awesome, awesome car. Can you explain "street legal"? Is it registered as a kit car? If so is it hard to do in your state? Thanks.

It was really simple to register the car here in FL. It took me 20 minutes. There is an exemption for kit cars. Even though I had the car built as a rolling chassis (full car except engine that was bought by their supplier American Speed and transaxle which was sent separately by the factory) all I had to do was have a shop put them together.

If you are in FL and want to know how to register a car like this I will have to go over my notes. If you look on-line under the DMV's web-sight it looks impossible but it is really easy.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It was really simple to register the car here in FL. It took me 20 minutes. There is an exemption for kit cars. Even though I had the car built as a rolling chassis (full car except engine that was bought by their supplier American Speed and transaxle which was sent separately by the factory) all I had to do was have a shop put them together.

If you are in FL and want to know how to register a car like this I will have to go over my notes. If you look on-line under the DMV's web-sight it looks impossible but it is really easy.

IN KALIFORNIA SB1578 allows 500 kits, to be registered per year, starting on the first business day of the year, numbers are gone by noon.:thumbsdow
There is a move to exclude rollers like SUPERFORMANCE where one justs adds the trany and engine.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I wonder, if once the car is registered in Florida, for example, coulld it then be taken to California and simply be registered as an incoming out of state vehicle?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I wonder, if once the car is registered in Florida, for example, coulld it then be taken to California and simply be registered as an incoming out of state vehicle?

not a snow ball's chance in hell...none, zero, zip, forgetaboutit.:frown :thumbsdow

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
So, the only way to register a car like the Ultima in The People's Republic of China, no I'm sorry, I meant California, is getting one of the 500 kit car licenses?

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
So, the only way to register a car like the Ultima in The People's Republic of China, no I'm sorry, I meant California, is getting one of the 500 kit car licenses?

Maybe not. I know there are some in California. My best suggestion is to go onto www.pistonheads.com and under Forum click Ultima. Post the question there. Someone will get you in touch with the right person on how to register the car in China-California. If you want me to, I would be happy to look into it for you as well.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I'm looking into getting a light, high hp, mid engine car for the track and some street use. The Ultima is at he top of the list. Any info would be helpful and informative. Thanks.

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
I just went to http://www.markkoch.net/ultima/faq.asp then click on Members, hold your mouse over California and it says that there are 119 members of the club with Ultimas in california. If you join the club then you can contact them and get your answer. They are a good group of people just Like here.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm looking into getting a light, high hp, mid engine car for the track and some street use. The Ultima is at he top of the list. Any info would be helpful and informative. Thanks.

You can register a car if all the smog equipment installed by the manufactuer is present. Then the motor has to make no more emisions than the year of the build which means no carbs, cams etc. In otherwords, if you had a presmog sixties block you would be smog exempt. Better understand exactly what you are getting into. Currently there is a bill to give owners of illegal cars amnesty. This a huge problem with more '32 Fords registered in California currently than where ever built. Check the Cobra kit car forums, they all have a section on California registration, the owner of Factory Five Forum, Bill posts here from time to time.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Im meeting up with a guy that has a Noble M400 this weekend. Should be interesting.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Noble & Ultima GTR

I just went to the 50th Anniversary of Laguna Seca this weekend. A Champ car practice was held on Sat & an opent track on Sun. A guy I know who owns a F430 brought out his new Noble. Other than massive loss of brake fluid out of the reservoir it ran fine. Another guy in the open track club has an Ultima GTR that he was able to license in CA (one of the 500!). However, with 500 miles on it the transaxle messed up. The Ford GT is soooo much more refined. It's just my opinion but the Noble & Ultima seem like kit cars compared to the GT. I don't think there is any comparision if you use the car for both track & street - GT for me!

Ed

P.S. Sebastian Bourdais broke the Laguna all time track record in his Champ car while we watched with a 1:05:080! The Ultima, Noble, GT, Viper, Z06, etc are low to mid 1:40s!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
New Edmunds write up on the M400 link.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=120703/pageId=123383

Below is part of the write up that I strongly agree with when a saw the car in person.

But for all its speed, I'd never feel comfortable driving the Noble M400 in anything other than closed-course competition events while wearing a helmet. Because this car isn't built to modern crash test standards.

There are no airbags, no side-impact beams. The well-shaped, supportive race seats have headrests that are canted back to be compatible with a helmeted head, but they're too far back to be of much use in a rear-end accident unless you are wearing a helmet. And the cockpit pillars and top members essentially constitute an exposed steel roll cage with a thin veneer of mouse fur. While this is doubtlessly great for the track, it seems a blunt-force hazard for a non-helmeted noggin in a fender-bender

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
My 02 cents.

For a more "practical track car" the lotus seems a good choice-street legal, dot safety stuff, lightest, lots of after market mods availability, easy to resell, 50K new, or 35k used.

If a more aggressive track car is wanted, then it seems that the ultima may be a better choice, lighter than noble, v8 power, record for 1-100-0, I think it's a bit cheaper than the noble.

Again, my 02 cents.

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
When I was in South Africa last year I stopped by Hi-Tech automotive. They build the Noble and the Superformance and other cars for various companies. Jim Price (president) was gracious enought to take me on a factory tour. The quality of the autos they assemble is very high. The facility is very large and is much like a college campus with several building each serving a specific function. They have many specialized tools and most of what they build they make from basic raw materials. Each building had its own QC center and all components were inspected before final assembly. You literally could eat off the floor in any building.:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

As to the Noble it is a pocket rocket that will turn on a dime and give you eleven cents of change. It is a very original auto and you will not be pulling up next to one at a stop light. Becuase of its great styling you will draw a crowd and you will be besecheed with numerous questions. You will have a very unique ownership experience!!:cheers

There are several choices out there in the 100k range so you have plenty to choose from!!!:banana