Anyone Familiar With Noble Cars?

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I am looking for a track day car and went to Ohio today to drive the Noble. Seems like a very capable track car, good torque, great handling. Thought maybe some of you guys might have one or be familiar with it.
Don

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Don

Some magazines that have tested them loved them as track cars but have major issues with their reliability. If memory serves me correctly 2 tests had to be aborted because of mechanical problems.

Dave

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Don,

i am in the same boat as you are. From my research there seems to be a couple of m400's that where delivered via a "installer" that did not take the extra time to sort out the cars.

I have looked hard at one for a "one lap" car. I get pulled back and forth between my Elise and the Gt. but the elise does not have enough power and I would kill myself if I put a Gt into a wall. :lol

the noble I drove was right on the money and from what I have heard on the noble forum the guys at 1g are good guys. There seems to be some heat issues due to the turbos but that seems to be easily fixed.

Maybe we could meet up and double up on Shane.:thumbsup

drop me a note.
Steve

I am looking for a track day car and went to Ohio today to drive the Noble. Seems like a very capable track car, good torque, great handling. Thought maybe some of you guys might have one or be familiar with it.
Don

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was just about to get a M400, but when I saw that the 500 car yearly allocation for the special exemption needed to register them in CA went in 1.5 days, I concluded that I wouldn't be able to register the car and passed on getting one built.

I think the M400 would be a blast to drive, smaller and more nimble than the GT. I had some concerned though on the safety of the cars on the street. First of all I am 6' with a long torso and although I fit easily into the car my head is only inches from the roll cage to the left of my head. If the Noble is T-boned by an SUV on the driver's side ones skull would be in bad shape. On the track the car would be better since t-boning isn't very likely to happen, and if it does it would be by a car that is lower than an SUV and with a small differential in speed. Also some roll cage padding and a helmet would mitigate the danger from the roll bar.

For a dedicated track car look at an Ariel Atom at www.brammo.com

Checkout www.pistonheads.com they have a forum section on Nobles.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I visited High Tech in Port Elizabeth, they build the Noble. The have never turned me on for whatever reason.

I know that the California DMV is not very happy with High Tech and their Cobra importer. They have been getting registered as a kit car under SB100.
The question that may have to be addressed, is if an importer brings in a vehicle that just needs a power pack installed is that a kit, or a sham to bypass the laws of our land. Especially if the factory sells turn key cars in other countries. I don't know, except I would only buy one with an assurance that I could license the darn thing. All these DMV's share information and concerns.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Get the Ariel Atom!:banana

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Don

Don, I too was smitten by the Noble at first, but further due diligence made me shy away from it. Just a gut feel. But for a definitive answer try contacting Derry. He did a track day with Lee Noble not too long ago, with a wide assortment of great cars. Search the forum for that thread.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Great Advice

Well as usual, you guys have knowledge on just about any car subject. I share the concerns raised. On the reliability side, it really depends on the installer. Installing an engine and trans can be difficult on the best of days. I have read the Noble forums and it looks like there are a couple of installers that get it and others that don't. It also appears that 1G racing, the importer and distributor for the US is a pretty good company that stands behind thier products. Bony, good catch on the registration, that got glossed over when I was in Ohio. I will check with my state to see what they say. On the safety side, the comments about side impact are right on the money. They have developed a set of bars that extend the roll cage around the side, between the driver and the door. That would help....but if you get broad sided in this car.....ouch....
Thanks again for all of the great input!:thumbsup :thumbsup
Don

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Get a TVR, now the factory is closing some real good value.

Reliability a bit shakey, but good track cars, and the management have bought out the Parts division, so these wont be a problem

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
Noble

The Noble is one of the best track day cars around. It is on a par with the Lotus Elise for handling, the main difference is that it has far more power with having the mid-mounted 3 litre twin turbo engine fitted to it. As for build and reliability, it is on a par with any of the top manufacturers and Noble take its quality very seriously. Our own friend, Jeremy Clarkson has tested one of these, and in his own words, he thought the car was epic. I feel you would never be disappointed if you buy one of these cars.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Anything Jeremy would have to say is greatly discounted by many members of this Forum.

Dave

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Speaking of Jeremy...

The Noble M14 on topgear.

BlackICE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mIHVpfNwPo&search=Top Gear Bond Car

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Get the Ariel Atom!:banana

Yes ! THAT's the ultimate track car, period. And costs almost nothing....:biggrin

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
If you interested in the Noble, Contact Arron Saez, The Speed Factory, Colombus Ohio. Top Rate.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Noble M400 on Dec Cover of Autoweek

Info on the Noble

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061208/FREE/61204010/1006

BlackICE

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Yes ! THAT's the ultimate track car, period. And costs almost nothing....:biggrin

Check out some of these videos. You really need to consider this before buying a noble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLzB0OG_34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3lhzEBga0Y

and here is Clarkson's review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20jZVM1HzU

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

Until you crash:frown

My very first track only car was a Caterham 7, Cosworth powered, 250hp, 1200lbs:biggrin <yes, that's a big shit eatin' grin btw. I still have it.

Open wheel cars can be fun but if you crash you'll wish you were driving something with a roof and "built in" crush zones. Just my $.02.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Until you crash:frown

why would an Atom be any more dangerous than, say an Exige? In a crash a thin sheet of aluminum is not going to offer protection, it is the cage and having protection for the driver's feet. Please explain. thanks:wink

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The Atom is probably safer than the Exige in a side on - however you would feel incredibly exposed driving it. If I had to choose a crash car (what a ghastly thing to say), it would be the Exige over the Atom.

2005-Ariel-Atom-Honda-Powered-Street-Legal-Mini-F1-D.jpeg

lotus-exige-s-2006-775719.jpg

Last edited: