3M Clear Bra

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Mine does cover the #1 area completely Centerpunch...if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't be able to tell...even if you know its on you have to look really close to find it.

Matt

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Matt and others who have the 3MFilm:

Are your cars dark painted dark colors? Yesterday I looked at two installs, both of which appeared to be done correctly. I've got to say, the seams are VERY noticeable, so maybe I'm looking at something other than what you guys have. I've got a black GT on order and as much as I hate chips, the 3MFilm I looked at would only be useful to me on very low, hidden areas such as rocker panels. I'm telling you, the seams stood out BIGTIME. Any thoughts or do we pick our poison, chips or seams?

Matt: What's the brand name of the product you used, perhaps as you say, it's a better product????

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I've got a red with white stripes and the nose is covered up to the hood. The seams are not noticeable at all and no one has even realized it's on there until I point it out. Mine is genuine 3M Clearbra professionally installed. Rockers, behind the rear fenders, etc.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
KJD said:
Matt and others who have the 3MFilm:

Are your cars dark painted dark colors? Yesterday I looked at two installs, both of which appeared to be done correctly. I've got to say, the seams are VERY noticeable, so maybe I'm looking at something other than what you guys have. I've got a black GT on order and as much as I hate chips, the 3MFilm I looked at would only be useful to me on very low, hidden areas such as rocker panels. I'm telling you, the seams stood out BIGTIME. Any thoughts or do we pick our poison, chips or seams?

Matt: What's the brand name of the product you used, perhaps as you say, it's a better product????

I have the 3M film on several cars and it shows every "chip" more conspicuously than if it were in the paint - especially on dark paint colors. My opinion at this time is, unless I am trying to preserve a museum piece, I can have the panels repaired professionally for what it costs to apply the film professionally. My experience has also been that the professionals bid the application by "zip code" so the same amount of film applied to a Honda cost about one third what it costs for a Porsche. :frown JMHO.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
sorry, don't agree...I would MUCH rather have chips in plastic then on my paint!!!Who wants to repaint (cost being WAY unequal) 1/4 panels of cars when A NEW application takes hours rather then days at a paint shop? I have had this 3m stuff on sevral cars and swear by it...

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I will get the name of the material he used..>I will also take some pics Saturday when we are out so you can see how it looks..

Also no mine is not a dark car...I have a heritage edition so the blue is light. I have to look to find the seams on the car.

I understand that the bra might get nicked...and you know what I can live with that...I will just replace it every year or 2 thats not a big deal...after getting the scratch on the lower rocker the first day..I know I can't live with repaints and touch ups.

Matt

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
427Aggie said:
I will get the name of the material he used..>I will also take some pics Saturday when we are out so you can see how it looks..

Also no mine is not a dark car...I have a heritage edition so the blue is light. I have to look to find the seams on the car.

I understand that the bra might get nicked...and you know what I can live with that...I will just replace it every year or 2 thats not a big deal...after getting the scratch on the lower rocker the first day..I know I can't live with repaints and touch ups.

Matt

THANKS!!!!!

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have one caution with respect to the 3M protective film. I know of several people (mostly Ferrari owners) who have had the protective film put on their cars and lived to regret it when it came time to remove it. The installers use a razor blade to do the final trimming of the material on the car and guess what? -- when you remove the film you may find"trace" incisions in the paint. Depending on the color of the car and the depth of the razor cuts you may be able to buff out some of the paint incisions. That said, I too am agonizing over the decision to "protect" the finish on this incredible car! PD :confused

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Had my car covered with all the 3M X-Pel kits.
Looks great, can't tell it's there unless you really look.
The headlights are more noticable than the rest.

I am concerned that the pinstriping may pull of when it's removed, but I guess I find that out later.

My installer didn't use a razor at all, everything fit properly. This was his first GT and he said it was a nice kit, just a learning curve for the GT.

I strongly recommend having the installer order or cut the film rather than buying it elsewhere. There are a few spots that have minor issues, but they are film issues. Also, if possible, get someone that has already done a GT.

IwantaGT

Apr 5, 2006
Texas
My friend installed the "clear bra" on his GT and it looks great. Can barely tell it's there unless you get within 4 inches of the body. Headlights ARE covered as well.

He installed this a few days before he went to the open-track and we did find some areas that need to be covered that weren't in the original "layout". In some ways it was good he went to the track b/c we could see what areas were missed by the rubber marks left from the track.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I have a Llumar protective film kit going on tomorrow. It is much more optically clear than the 3M. I had 3M on other cars. Nothing wrong with it, but it has an orange peel effect and seems to be noticeably more apparent than the Llumar.

I will post some pics when done.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I just purchased a roll of scotch tape and have applied it to the front of the car. It looks ok but there are way to many lines where I had to overlap the tape. :willy

I love the color coded bra from speed lingerie. I guess to each his or her own.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Awsum, if you had bought the silver car you could have just used duct tape!! :lol

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
That's what I did, and I used a silver Sharpie to color in the stripes. Looks great. :biggrin :lol

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
3M Film

I had a shop in La Quinta do the 3M install on my 2006 Tungsten GT. They down loaded a "kit" that had 6 pieces in it. Printed it out on their blue print sized plotter right onto the film and cut it out. They made templates for everthing that was not in the "kit" - head lights, fog lights, all 4 air ducts. Took about 12 hours to complete but it was worth it. The 3M film is also availiable in a light yellow and a light blue. According to what I was told if the colors are used on the lights they shine clear. They ended up using 3 different thicknesses. I had them do a 1/2 strip across the leading edge of the roof using the thinest film. I have to tell people it is there - they keep looking and don't see it at night. I have them feel the edge to prove it is there.

Get er out of the garage and on the road

PL510:Jeff

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Awsum GT said:
I just purchased a roll of scotch tape and have applied it to the front of the car. It looks ok but there are way to many lines where I had to overlap the tape. :willy

I love the color coded bra from speed lingerie. I guess to each his or her own.

My bra came today... someone had them add lead weights in mine...??? :rofl

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Can anyone recommend a company out here in So. Cal.????
thanks
tim
#1233 :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
tmstunts#1233 said:
Can anyone recommend a company out here in So. Cal.????
thanks
tim
#1233 :thumbsup

Tim, if you car is white, after six months, especially in hot weather the film picks up a yellow tint... have had it on 4 cars, looks good the first month then it becomes rock pocked... no more film for me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My Speedlingerie bra is to be delivered tomorrow, red/white. I'll take pics and post over the weekend. Can't wait, but want to Zaino first before install. What lead weights? Perhaps it's to compensate for that pale, weight saving no stripe car of yours.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
My Speedlingerie bra is to be delivered tomorrow, red/white. I'll take pics and post over the weekend. Can't wait, but want to Zaino first before install. What lead weights? Perhaps it's to compensate for that pale, weight saving no stripe car of yours.

yup.. an evil plot to slow me down, you must be a conspirator with Awsum :biggrin