3M Clear Bra

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
I am considering have a local installer (who comes very highly recommended) put a 3M Clear Bra on my GT. I was wondering if anyone here has had one installed and if they could offer me any feedback or advice before I take the plunge and have one installed.

Also, this may sound like a dumb question. But, are the stripes on our cars painted on... or are they a sticker?

Thanks in advance...

B

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I have the kit but need to get it installed.

My stripes are paint, I think, but I also have pin stripes on the Heritage.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
paint.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I had most of it installed last week...didn't do the hood but that piece just came in..Find someone that does it for a living..alot of RV guys have it done.

Its great stuff and I don't know why I didn't want to do it before. On our heritage cars as yours the stripes are painted on...the side stripes are vinyl stickers...as are our meatballs and black pinstripes...they were a little harder to work around on mine but the installer did a great job and you can't even hardly see where it is.

Matt

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Best thing you can do. Have it done professionally and be sure to do behind the rear wheels as well as the entire rocker panels.

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
I had a 3M Clear Bra installed on my 2006 Tungsten GT today and I couldn't be any happier with the results. The installer (David Duncan of Invisible Car Bras.Com) was a great guy who really took his time and treated my car right.

The installation was a 100% success and I am completely satisfied with the results.

Afterwards a couple of my friends stopped by and they too were impressed by how good the installation was and how difficult it was to tell I had anything protecting the paint.

If you live in the Central Florida area I would highly recommend that you give this guy a call. :thumbsup

David Duncan
http://www.invisiblecarbras.com
407-275-0558

B

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
did you order the product from him, or already have it?

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I have it on my GT and I recomend it. Make sure and put it on the lower rocker panel and the panel that is below the side air intake. I got chips without the protection there.

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
SuperB said:
did you order the product from him, or already have it?

He purchases the product by the roll and he has a machine connected to a laptop computer in has van... that custom cuts the pattern on site.

This guy really knew what he was doing and runs a 1st class operation. Needless to say, I was very impressed with him and I plan to have him back to do some of my other cars.

B

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
Black GT said:
I have it on my GT and I recomend it. Make sure and put it on the lower rocker panel and the panel that is below the side air intake. I got chips without the protection there.

Did your installer go over the stripes that are on the side air intake with the product? I ask this because it is my understanding that the side stripes are a sticker?

B

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
Black GT said:

Black GT,

Are these the areas you are referring to:

fordgt1.jpg

If they are... did you go over the stripes in the section labeled #1 ?

Also, section #2 already has some clear film protecting the front and back parts of that panel on my car. Did you remove those and have your installer put one continuous piece of protective film on the car... or did you just have him fill in the area that is not protected?

B

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I have the stripe delete option, but they can go over the stripes no problem. They went over my stripes on my Viper.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I believe all the top stripes are paint. All of the side stripes are tape.

I have a friend that had the 3M installed and it looks really bad. The install looks great. The paint may not be chipped but where rocks hit the front the 3M product is. It really shows the chips and short of removing the 3M and redoing the 3M, I can not see any way of making it look better. If it were a paint chip... at least you can use a small dab of touchup paint.

I'm not really sure why you would want to use this product. Your choice is the paint gets chipped or the 3M gets chipped.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My feeling exactly

You also have to clean the bugs off just like paint, so what's the difference? Wait till the bras come out, just slip it off when it gets dirty and you still have a clean car.

BLS

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2006
Winter Park, Florida
WhiteBlueGT said:
I'm not really sure why you would want to use this product. Your choice is the paint gets chipped or the 3M gets chipped.

Given the choice, I would rather replace the 3M Invisible Bra... than repair damage to my cars paint. Especially when you consider that the Invisible Bra is installed in sections. And if a section becomes unsightly (due to rock chips or other road damage)... it is not difficult, time consuming or expensive to replace. Unlike paint...

B

Last edited:

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Yes those are the areas i am talking about i had about 100 chips on the #1 area really bad! I did not think about it when I first installed the 3m. And yes i did the whole rocker pannel. Tust me you will thank yourself later when you get it done.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Actually the 3M is not that great...the link to the bra material earlier on is the one I used...my installer had the 3M and this on his car..you could see a difference. I would rather let it get chipped up than the car..I have a scratch already and its driving me nuts.

matt

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
WhiteBlueGT said:
I believe all the top stripes are paint. All of the side stripes are tape.

I have a friend that had the 3M installed and it looks really bad. The install looks great. The paint may not be chipped but where rocks hit the front the 3M product is. It really shows the chips and short of removing the 3M and redoing the 3M, I can not see any way of making it look better. If it were a paint chip... at least you can use a small dab of touchup paint.

Exactly my feelings, I have tried four different companies, all installed well with mixed results. I don't like the car bras either, they trap moisture and look strange. Just my two cents.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Venture Tape Clear Bra

Can someone tell me what seems like a reasonable price to have this type of protection put on a GT? I just received a quote from a Venture Tape dealer for $1,000 to do my car. This includes several hood pieces, fenders, mirrors, lights, bumper, door sills, rockers, rear wheel arches, roof and door edge protection.

Thanks

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
NJF said:
Can someone tell me what seems like a reasonable price to have this type of protection put on a GT? I just received a quote from a Venture Tape dealer for $1,000 to do my car. This includes several hood pieces, fenders, mirrors, lights, bumper, door sills, rockers, rear wheel arches, roof and door edge protection.

Thanks

I just got mine done yesterday for $720 less the rockers and rear fenders. The Installer used (I think) Venture Areospace film that he said is the very best. It looks ...uhhh....umm...ok. I think if anyone comes out with a good bra I will leave the film on long enough to see if the bra is going to chafe the paint.