Yay! I won the Spotless Water System Contest!

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
How long does the resin last? Too lazy to look it up.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How long does the resin last? Too lazy to look it up.

Capture.jpg

I started using a pressure washer and I'm getting at least twice as many washes. More efficient with less water. Lot of gear to drag out though.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
But Gary, does it get rid of the chicken poop from your pets?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Congratulations, Gary. What are you going to do with a second one? You should just ask them if you can get free resin refills for life. [emoji3]

And on that subject, can anyone comment on the best place to purchase refills right now?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Windows101.com for the resin.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Unfortunately, they seemed to have caught on a while ago and raised the prices. Still a better deal than getting it from CRSpotless.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Unfortunately, they seemed to have caught on a while ago and raised the prices. Still a better deal than getting it from CRSpotless.

Windows101 began free shipping a while ago on orders over $95. This is a big savings on 49 lbs shipped from Seattle.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Windows101 began free shipping a while ago on orders over $95. This is a big savings on 49 lbs shipped from Seattle.

But they also raised the prices on the resin. So, not so 'free'. Like I said, still a better deal than getting it from CR.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Congrats Gary! My system has been sitting in garage idle for quite some time, using only detail spray to clean as needed. Probably not driving enough. Will you come down south and tutor me on its use? I have already lost most of my hair!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Congrats Gary! My system has been sitting in garage idle for quite some time, using only detail spray to clean as needed. Probably not driving enough. Will you come down south and tutor me on its use? I have already lost most of my hair!

Nice try Elliot! Drive more, then let me know. :wink

The resin has an 18 month shelf life. It's not going to fail precipitously, but it tails off. Use it or lose it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tough crowd. I'm proud of you Gary. Congrats.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice try Elliot! Drive more, then let me know. :wink

The resin has an 18 month shelf life. It's not going to fail precipitously, but it tails off. Use it or lose it.

Actually the opposite, Gary. I've been using this system for about 8 years and I've noticed that once the PPM meter starts registering over 000, it begins to fail relatively quickly. Obviously depends on how much water you use.

One thing about letting water sit stagnant in the containers. You can get mold accumulation which affects the spot-free properties of the deionized water. They recommend that you drain the canisters if you anticipate leaving them unused for a prolonged period of time, especially in warmer climates (i.e. Florida).

Seeing as it's a major PITA to remove those things, I just leave them full and cross my fingers that the next wash won't be spotty. I'm surprised they haven't designed some type of quick-connect.

EDIT: From the website FAQ's (I was mistaken, it's algae, not mold):

WILL THE RESIN GO BAD IF I DON'T USE IT?
Yes it is possible. After long periods of non-use there is a possibility that algae can form and foul the resin. If it is going to set for a long period of time with out use (60-90 days) we suggest that you remove the resin cartridges, allow them to drip dry and dry the inside of the blue housings to prevent algae growth.

THE METER DOES NOT SEEM TO BE WORKING. IT ONLY SHOWS ALL ZEROS?
That is perfect, the meter will read 000 for 95% of the resins life expectancy. Once you start to see numbers, it will increase rapidly.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Seeing as it's a major PITA to remove those things, I just leave them full and cross my fingers that the next wash won't be spotty. I'm surprised they haven't designed some type of quick-connect.

Or at least a petcock/drain for the bottoms of the tanks!! I've thought about tapping mine to install some.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Actually the opposite, Gary. I've been using this system for about 8 years and I've noticed that once the PPM meter starts registering over 000, it begins to fail relatively quickly. Obviously depends on how much water you use.

Ed, I was talking about shelf life. As in, does the resin deteriorate over time if you buy it in bulk and store it? Yes. 18 months is the shelf life, according to the CS Spotless FAQ.

Yes, when the TDS meter begins registering greater than 000, you have one car wash left. The meter goes up fast.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Ed, I was talking about shelf life. As in, does the resin deteriorate over time if you buy it in bulk and store it? Yes. 18 months is the shelf life, according to the CS Spotless FAQ.

Well........that blows!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

Thank you!