Workhorse No. 1 at Shelbys--why?

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
A few months ago I went to the Shelby plant in Las Vegas for a barbeque and NorCal Shelby Club gathering and employees there were toodling about the racecourse in the car I recognized from pictures as Workhorse No. 1, the first mule that Ford made when developing the Ford GT . It has a simplified frame, iron block engine and maybe a RBT 6-speed. The body has regular doors, not doors that cut into the roof like the Concept GT40 or production Ford GTs. I was wondering if anyone knows if Shelby is using this as a development hack for something he is doing or if Ford just needed the space and loaned it to him. Did anybody see it with the engine lid up, so we know what gearbox it has in it?

Also where is Pentunia now--the gold GT40 Concept? I know it was repainted candy apple red, but is it on display somewhere? What transaxle did that have? I am curious as to how it shifted, if you look at the pictures, it has no gates visible, the shift lever sprouts out of a dome and I was wondering if the whole dome moved everytime you shifted.