What mods effect/void warranty?

agentf1

Oct 21, 2005
What mods effect/void warranty?

Have any of you had your warranty voided for a tune or a tune and pulley? Or do they cut GT owners some slack?

Does anybody have any mod friendly dealers that are good at working on the GT in the N Jersey or SE Pa areas?

Thanks in advance. :cheers

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Its like any car it depends upon the relationship you have created with the service manager not the dealership.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The chip knows everything. Unless its a mod by the dealer (muffler,etc) it will probably void your warranty. There are previous posts discussing this from a few months ago.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The chip knows everything.

I was a General Motors and Import dealer for twenty years, my father was a Ford dealer prior to that so I believe I have a pretty good handle on this. No modification will void your warranty. If however, something breaks as a result of your modification or if the modification itself breaks, that would not be covered. Here's an example. If you installed twin turbos and jacked the motor up to 1000 HP and blew the motor up THEN Ford would probably decline to cover it. If your power windows quit after your twin turbo install however, Ford would cover it as the modifications did not cause that failure. All car makers pay the dealer full retail to perform warranty work, they are the dealers best service customer. The dealer has every incentive to cover everything possible because thats how we make a living. Rarely will a carmaker refuse to cover failures during the warranty period even when there is extreme neglect. I had one customer bring in a Suburban with 15,000 miles on it and the engine had seized up. The original oil filter was on the car and the customer admitted he had never checked, changed, or added any oil. The Suburban had two quarts of cooked oil sludge in the crankcase. My GMC rep looked at it and told me to replace the motor ($3400.00) to keep the customer happy. GM paid for every dime of it and this experience was typical. If an engine part failed after your turbo install that might not be the result of the turbos, Ford would probably cover it, but there is some risk there. So here's the bottom line. No modification will void your warranty. Everything will still be covered EXCEPT for items that fail AS A RESULT of your modifications. The modifications themselves obviously would not be covered. Hope this clears things up.

Chip