V-GT Day

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Christmas in July my ass, it was V-GT Day.

Gentlemen,

To our members who have been selected for NFGT ownership I've heard it described as Christmas in July but I think that misses the mark. For me this was an all out assault with a defined objective like storming the beaches at Normandy. From the first moment I heard a new Ford GT was going to be built I never once considered the possibility that I wouldn't own one. I literally didn't care if I had to sell my home and one of my stores, work around the clock, or sell one of my kidneys it just had to happen. Obsession doesn't begin to describe it. My yellow GT is like a family member and I had no desire to own any other supercar. I'm a Ford fanatic and I don't buy any other brand for work or play so there was nothing left for me to acquire UNTIL....Ford dropped a Liquid Blue and Carbon Fiber bomb on my Pearl Harbor of contentment.

One day I'm fine. The next day my world was shattered and a singular focus occupied way too many of my hours and days. I traveled to see the new GT. Salivated over it at Rally 10. Watched it race at Daytona and Le Mans. And when the application web site went live I lived on it. I wrote, rewrote, proof read, and then rewrote again every section a dozen times. I cropped and captioned hundreds of photos and kept changing them. I created two videos and kept redoing them until I was happy and had them professionally edited. Then when they were done I decided they needed to be better so I started over from scratch.

No box was unfilled, no question unanswered, no picture not posted, no story untold, no video not made, and all to the best of my ability. Failure was not an option. My friends, family, and employees were worried about me. Thank God I was able to fly off to Europe to bomb around in #34 with DBK and 4 other GT maniacs for 2 and a half weeks to take my mind off of that application. Then Ford pulls off a miracle first year win at Le Mans and stoked my fever pitch desire to an even higher level. Good grief, now if I don't score a new GT it's literally going to ruin my life. This can't be healthy. Perhaps I should seek professional help. No, screw that. I'm going to get a new GT, I'm going to order it just the way I like, and I'm going to watch them build it. In my minds eye I've already owned the damn thing for a year already.

Weeks passed, no word yet. It was agonizing. And finally.....DBK puts up the "Check Your In Box" thread and members start posting their letters. I received NOTHING. 15 minutes later....NOTHING. 30 minutes later....NOTHING. An hour later.....NOTHING. I'm apoplectic and Lynda is getting worried about me. John and Michelle call to tell me they got a GT. Barry in Flagstaff got a GT. I received NOTHING!!!! I called Lynda and told her I was driving over to pick her up for dinner and she asked again if I had heard anything. Again I checked my phone and NOTHING. My world was turning black and my head was spinning as I started driving mindlessly to her home. While sailing down Shea Boulevard I hit refresh on my iPhone mail once more and BINGO!!!!! There it was!!!!! The Holy Grail!!!!!!! I felt like I'd just been hit with a ball bat. My all out, no stone left unturned, don't spare the horses assault upon acquiring a new Ford GT was finally successful. But it wasn't Christmas at all. It was joyful relief and I genuinely felt like that sailor in Times Square on VJ Day.

This was an adventure and an experience I'll never forget. What a ride. Thank you to Bill, Edsel, Henry, Raj, and the whole team at Ford for laying it all on the line and having the balls to build and race a new Ford GT. To Raj for giving maniacs like me a legitimate shot to acquire one. And to my friend DBK who can't fully fathom the brotherhood he's assembled with his Forum and the appreciation we have for his efforts.

It's going to take a while for me to get back to normal but that's OK. For now I'm happy in this surreal state of joy and relief. If the new GT is half as exciting as this whole process has been it will be one hell of a ride. All the best.

Chip

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
Great post. And well deserved. I suspect Ford could see the passion from a mile away. Or half the globe during Le Mans. Congratulations. This is way off topic, but I've seen that photo a ton of times, and never noticed the white stockings.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
It seems we were living parallel lives. Very well said Chip. Trying to "keep my cool" flew out the window with the chime of my in box on Wednesday night. Honestly things just keep getting better and better since Raj stood in front us all on a podium at Rally 10 and thanked us for being Ford GT Ambassadors. I have been of one body, mind and spirit since then. Nothing better.

Vince H

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
How about a little more cheesecake.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Is it me or did that post have a subtle WWII theme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
P.S. It sounds like you absolutely deserve one. Congratulations!

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Great post Chip, it speaks volumes of how many us love our GT and Ford. Great post, I know how you feel bud ;).

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
It seems we were living parallel lives. Very well said Chip. Trying to "keep my cool" flew out the window with the chime of my in box on Wednesday night. Honestly things just keep getting better and better since Raj stood in front us all on a podium at Rally 10 and thanked us for being Ford GT Ambassadors. I have been of one body, mind and spirit since then. Nothing better.
Rude
Vince H

Well said my GT brother :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great post Chip... this picture fits your theme. It came from the War Memorial Museum in France. Yes that's me standing at the base wearing my Ford GT Team Jacket !!

Attachments

• 2016-06-20 19.52.06.jpg
    2016-06-20 19.52.06.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 266

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Good thing you are not looking up in that photo!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
There is another giant statue of that famous scene, probably done by the same artist, in Sarasota, Florida.

Howard

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Is it me or did that post have a subtle WWII theme?

Last Weds night had a WWII theme for me also....as in Willy Wonka 2: The sequel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXmZvEdv6k

I feel like I got the golden ticket! Can't wait to visit the "chocolate factory" in Ontario. Spring trip? Rally 12? Get your golden tickets and passports ready! Stormcat...you don't need a visa for Canada. I think Frank is the Russian dude who forged a ticket.

Sorry for the derail Chip!

Last edited:

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Chip: noticed you were in a bit of a zone @ LeMans!! LOL!! Congrats!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
If the new GT is half as exciting as this whole process has been it will be one hell of a ride.

So true Chip. Agree 100%.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Last Weds night had a WWII theme also for me....as in Willy Wonka 2: The sequel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXmZvEdv6k

I feel like I got the golden ticket! Can't wait to visit the "chocolate factory" in Ontario. Spring trip? Rally 12? Get your golden tickets and passports ready! Stormcat...you don't need a visa for Canada. I think Frank is the Russian dude who forged a ticket.

Sorry for the derail Chip!

I'll be there !!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
A golden ticket for sure.

Attachments

• 13362612_1.jpg
    13362612_1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
…..I'm going to get a new GT, I'm going to order it just the way I like, and I'm going to watch them build it.

…..This was an adventure and an experience I'll never forget. What a ride. Thank you to Bill, Edsel, Henry, Raj, and the whole team at Ford for laying it all on the line and having the balls to build and race a new GT. To Raj for giving maniacs like me a legitimate shot to acquire one. And to my friend DBK who can't fully fathom the brotherhood he's assembled with his Forum and the appreciation we have for his efforts.

…..It's going to take a while for me to get back to normal but that's OK. For now I'm happy in this surreal state of joy and relief. If the new GT is half as exciting as this whole process has been it will be one hell of a ride.
This Is As Good As It Gets.
Thanks for expressing these same feelings which I have, and of many others I am sure.
This entire experience is going to be epic.
:cheers