Mar 5, 2006
Madrid, SPAIN
Count on me too.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Trans Breather kit is now ready:
The testing and design is now complete. And I am now ready to take orders!

The kit includes:

An Aluminum Breather vent can. With an internal baffle. And a small filter attached.
The vent can bolts to the frame using existing nut inserts (no drilling required)

A special adaptor that replaces the production trans vent.

Length of clear Tygon hose. And required push-on fittings and hardware.

For $163.80

As an option we can also replace the clear hose and push-on fittings.
With Stainless braded hose and AN fittings. For an additional $60.00

I will accept credit cards through PayPal to aszilagyi@comcast.net
Or checks sent to:
T&A Shocks
7510 Bingham, Dearborn, Mi 48126

Thanks

Alex Szilagyi

I will post photos asap

Pricing will be $163.80 + shipping

The breather kit will include :

Aluminum Breather vent can that bolts to the frame w / filter ( closed system)
Special adaptor fitting that replaces the stock open air trans vent.
2 hose fittings
Clear high temp (heavy) tygon tubing
Fasteners as required
Instructions for install

Thanks

Last edited:

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry I am not as fluent. What is the difference between a trans breather and a trans cooler?

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Why we have a trans vent

All transmitions and axles must have a simple vent or breather.
So as the drive train comes up to operating temp.
The air pressure inside (in our case) the transaxle doesn’t exceed atmospheric pressure.

If you did not have a vent system. The expansion of the warm oil and air inside the box. Could force the oil to push past the seals to the lower atmosphere out side the trans. And leak all the oil on the ground.

In the case of the Ford GT. The stock breather vent is a nicer than a normal Ford part.
But like 99.9% of the world’s cars. A small amount of oil vapor moves out of the breather. With the expanding air as the trans warms up. And may appear to be an oil leak.

On your average automobile you would not even notice this small oil and dust stain on the top of the trans as you can not see it. But on the GT we have a power train under glass. A showpiece that everyone wants to view.

And an oil stain on the gearbox is not a good look (And may be mistaken for a leak).
Adding a remote breather can will help keep the oil vapors in the box. And keep the engine bay looking nice.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Great answer. Thanks. Were is our vent located?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
If you look deep into the engine bay from the passenger side, 2/3rds back, on the transaxle (the axle looking part on the main engine), you'll see a bypass hose (a hose that loops). Next to the hose is a smallish bolt, sitting there on it's own. That's the transaxle vent. There are quite a few photos of it if you look in the technical stickies.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Is the 360 or 430 'average'?

I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini and others with glass engine bays have had a while longer to deal with their engineering - the GT was taken from the back of an envelope to a finished product fairly swiftly, so I suspect there will be the odd wrinkle here and there. Most of the owners here are not complaining - I'm not, happy to find a fix and accept there'll be some issues.

Mind you, I have not had a roadside breakdown! I might feel a little differently in that scenario....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
MR2 Race. please post or send pictures of how the vent mount and looks. I don't have a problem yet but the dealer during the oil change started to notice some small seeping...

Thanks....

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
I will have photos soon , Thanks :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Well guess what one week later- after driving the car for two greats over the last two weekends the vent is seeping now.. Look forward to the fix MR2race! :cheers