Track cooling questions

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. I spoke with the lead engineer at the GT Rally in Dearborn this past summer and he concurred there was a big heat issue when tracking the car. He said the only way around it was to turn it into a full-time track car (i.e. ditch the airconditioning compressor, etc.). The supercharger puts out an extreme amount of heat, that just the way it goes and we have to live with it and that sucks for a supercar. If anybody can offer up a solution to this heat problem while still managing to keep the car daily driveable, I and probably 20 others are all ears.

I realize it's not a race car, but I think it's appropriate for a supercar to be capable of hot laps and abuse without an obvious cooling issue. I've had thei heritage car in my garage for over a week and I would love it to stay there. At the same time, I believe it may need to lose the supercharger to be a practical track car. The irony is that I would glady spend the extra $90k or more over a GT3 to have this particular car because it's 1) a Ford 2) unique and exotic. But, to spend that kind of money to have a overheating headache on track is crazy. Damn it already!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I realize it's not a race car, but I think it's appropriate for a supercar to be capable of hot laps and abuse without an obvious cooling issue. I've had thei heritage car in my garage for over a week and I would love it to stay there. At the same time, I believe it may need to lose the supercharger to be a practical track car. The irony is that I would glady spend the extra $90k or more over a GT3 to have this particular car because it's 1) a Ford 2) unique and exotic. But, to spend that kind of money to have a overheating headache on track is crazy. Damn it already!

Change to an aftermarket exhaust that allows air to flow through the engine compartment and you can drive it on the track with no problem. Been there do it and its fine.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Change to an aftermarket exhaust that allows air to flow through the engine compartment and you can drive it on the track with no problem. Been there do it and its fine.

Dave

I agree fully with dave, put a sportexhaust on it and potentially get rid of the cats, you'll be good with the transcooler and some waterwetter. Then, put the vented discs, and hit it hard !

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL

Dave

I agree fully with dave, put a sportexhaust on it and potentially get rid of the cats, you'll be good with the transcooler and some waterwetter. Then, put the vented discs, and hit it hard !

Oh, you guys are giving me some faith :biggrin. Really, until right now, I have never considered a car this expensive. After all, it might eat into my 2007 racing budget! It also kinda goes against my upbringing but at some point you have to consider what you're getting for the money. The car is ridiculously cool as far as I'm concerned. Everyone who sees it says I should buy it, if for the art value alone. Again though, I will be pissed if I can't turn 20 or 30 minutes of hot laps on sticky tires.

Has anyone swapped some more efficient radiators or a larger intercooler tank?

Bruce