TOP GUN II (Maverick) 5-27-2022

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Well fellas it is official. the long awaited sequal that has been pushed back three times due to covid is finally coming to a theatre near you on 5-27-2022. I saw the original movie back in the 1980's the second day that it came out on 5-17-86. I knew nothing about the movie and i was just 19 years old at the time. I was walking down La Jolla shores beach in San Diego when i met this 26 year old preachers daughter in a bikini. We started talking to each other and she invited me to go see the flic with her that night at the theatre on Mira Mesa Blvd right down the street from fighter town aka top gun. The theatre was full of mostly naval cadets in white uniform. About 10 years ago i got to see the movie on IMAX. My favorite movie off all time. I aways wanted to be a fighter jet pilot but because i am left handed i chickened out of joining the Air Force. Tom Cruise is left handed and learned to fly his P-51 and other planes too right handed. I did fly a MIG-15 right handed one time back in 2001. This is the hardest fighter jet to fly in the world with the highest fatality rate.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Too bad those days are over. The F-35 is the last manned fighter/attack aircraft, and I doubt any of them will see aerial combat. They are more useful as stand-off weapons and sensor platforms. For over a decade now, that role has been performed by UAVs and missiles.

RIP TOPGUN.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I was walking down La Jolla shores beach in San Diego ...Mira Mesa Blvd right down the street from fighter town aka top gun.
I flew over you many times...actually closer to Del Mar (which was also a popular break with the aviators that surfed). I lived at La Jolla Village tennis club (with a roommate that made 4-star) and then off Camino Ruiz while flying out of NAS Miramar from 1985-1988.

Tomcat

GT Owner
To be clear, I "rode" over you (as I was a "Goose")...NAFOD (forum member) did the flying (we were actually in sister squadrons on the USS Enterprise).

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Bought my very first motorcycle after enjoying the Original Top Gun movie several times in the theater.

Worked 30+ hour weeks during high school and saved up the funds.

A Ninja, of course, because Maverick wouldn't ride anything else. Would listen to the Soundtrack riding through the backroads on a Walkman radio and small speakers I had rigged to the back of the motorcycle.

Went on to become National Managing Director of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and enjoyed many decades of motorcycles and camaraderie.

Thank you Top Gun!

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
Back in the day (1987):
Smithsonian A&S cover low res.jpg

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
If this wasn’t a car forum I’d ask more questions about the bikini clad preacher’s daughter. But I won’t.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Just saw it on a big screen imax and I am in shock!!! Better than the original. The greatest movie ever made. 🏁

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
If this wasn’t a car forum I’d ask more questions about the bikini clad preacher’s daughter. But I won’t.

She was better in bed than Kelly Mcgillis....ha ha

Reactions: dshears

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

Last edited:
Reactions: dshears

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Watched it with family and friends on opening night and can say that it was worth the wait over the several false starts during Covid.

Brought back a lot of nostalgia, and loved the references to the original film. Watched the original the next night, and had fun with that as well.

Reactions: extrap

Tomcat

GT Owner
I knew Jambo pretty well...as did NORDO (I'm sure).

Reactions: RPM217

jorgea

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for your personal story that led you to see the first movie when it was initially released back in 1986.