Tires - Smooth Rolling Guarantee??

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
This past weekend's episode of MotorWeek ( http://www.motorweek.org/ ) had a segment on Goss's Garage about 'Low Profile Tires' (http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/tires_ride_quality ). In the segment, they discussed asking about a guarantee;

"So, on this particular car, anything above 50 miles per hour, the steering wheel shook like crazy; there was no way to fix it. The only fix was to buy another tire. So, if your car has low profile tires, before you buy replacements, you have to ask the question, what kind of a guarantee is the manufacturer going to give me against harshness in drive or vibration in ride. You want to make sure that the tires that you buy are guaranteed to ride smoothly."

Has anybody ever heard about this type of guarantee??

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I wish I had insisted on that guarantee before my wedding. Replacing an existing unit that has already been mounted and installed is an expensive way to smooth things out.

Chip

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I wish I had insisted on that guarantee before my wedding. Replacing an existing unit that has already been mounted and installed is an expensive way to smooth things out.

Chip

:lol

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
it is usually getting caught mounting the replacement,,, when things get costly.....

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
it is usually getting caught mounting the replacement,,, when things get costly.....

OK, that is funny!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Are you guys talking about tires? :lol:facepalm:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Frickin' moderator hijacks the thread with the very first reply. :dead:

.......................though it is a damn funny observation I can agree with! :ack

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
:thumbsup OK - got to give it to the Chip'er on that one!

living proof of a wasted mind........... or mind wasted?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Chip

That is called a pre-nup.

Glad you found a new catch :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Frickin' moderator hijacks the thread with the very first reply. :dead:

.......................though it is a damn funny observation I can agree with! :ack

Yeah, but you have to admit it was kind of a setup.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Yeah, but you have to admit it was kind of a setup.

.....I still have yet to see anybody pipe in with knowledge/insight about the MotorWeek posit though. :tap:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
.....I still have yet to see anybody pipe in with knowledge/insight about the MotorWeek posit though. :tap:

OK, so I will.

I wonder if you'd get Goodyear* or Firestone to stand up to a claim "I was going 175 MPH and I'm pretty sure the tires aren't round". I'd bet Mickey Thompson or Nitto would though.

*They probably would on certain classes of tires, and perhaps even the F1s, but not the stuff you buy at Discount Tire.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I've purchased tires that were either out of round or couldn't be balanced for some reason or another and they were always replaced free of charge. I'm not aware of a smooth rolling guarantee but an out of round tire or severely unbalanced tire is defective and would be replaced under any warranty. I'm not aware of anybody who purchased defective tires who were denied warranty replacements.

Chip