Texas Mile

Mar 15, 2006
Anyone going this weekend? I understand that a GT with the right mods can run over 190 mph in the mile.

www.TexasMile.com

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Spank GT, Good info. I never heard of this event. It's simular to the SILVER STATE SPEED-STOP/Z2Z CHALLENGE. (http://sscc.us/)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2006
the nice thing about the texas mile is that the runway is much wider than the narrow road up in Ely at the SSC. also Ely is at 6500 ft of elevation which costs a lot of power. Texas Mile is near sea level.

We are going to test a GT at Texas Mile this weekend. With 630 rear wheel hp we hope to see 190 mph or so. :thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
according to the rule book once you pass 175 mph at this event you have to have a 4 point roll bar as minimum with a 6 point cage or more preferred? have you put a roll bar or cage in your GT john? if not i assume you have at least a 4 point rollbar and 5 point seat belts?

i have a BTR 4 point roll bar and 5 point restraints in my viper and will be gearing the car down to a 3.33 in the rear next month. i will spray 5th gear with a 150 shot of nitrous and i think i can get 190 mph out of it at the texas mile. as far as traction goes i run toyo RA-1 tires. i would hate to travel over 1000 miles to this event and have them put a limit on me at 175 mph for not passing tech. it simply would not be worth my time

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SPANK GT said:
the nice thing about the texas mile is that the runway is much wider than the narrow road up in Ely at the SSC. also Ely is at 6500 ft of elevation which costs a lot of power. Texas Mile is near sea level.

We are going to test a GT at Texas Mile this weekend. With 630 rear wheel hp we hope to see 190 mph or so. :thumbsup

Good luck. Suggest you have all your safety equipment installed:-
Fuel Cell
Fire System
Roll Cage
Tires with no more than two or three heat cycles
Racing seats
6 point belt systems
tire pressure monitoring system
driver - navigator communication system
Hans systems for driver and navigator
nets on windows

Post pictures, go for it, but be safe!

Mar 15, 2006
With 630 rw hp we ran our GT to a best speed of 185.5 mph. This was running into a pretty good head wind. I think a 190 mph run would be possible with no wind. Given the fact that we did no have a cage in the car the organizers said they would not be able to publish our 185 run as official (even though everyone there saw it, heard it announced and we have the time slip). So we went back out and ran 173.9 mph so they would be able to post it.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
SPANK GT said:
With 630 rw hp we ran our GT to a best speed of 185.5 mph. This was running into a pretty good head wind. I think a 190 mph run would be possible with no wind. Given the fact that we did no have a cage in the car the organizers said they would not be able to publish our 185 run as official (even though everyone there saw it, heard it announced and we have the time slip). So we went back out and ran 173.9 mph so they would be able to post it.

thanx for sharin the results :thumbsup winds do make a difference. i got a nice 5 mph bump on the dragstrip one time out of my turbocharged drag bike due to a 20 mph tailwind. i would be interested to know if it is possible to install a 4 point rollbar in a GT? i see the car already has provisions for a 5 point restraint system.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2006
Fast Freddy said:
thanx for sharin the results :thumbsup winds do make a difference. i got a nice 5 mph bump on the dragstrip one time out of my turbocharged drag bike due to a 20 mph tailwind. i would be interested to know if it is possible to install a 4 point rollbar in a GT? i see the car already has provisions for a 5 point restraint system.

the darn car is so tight with just wearing a helmet i could not imagine having a bar or cage in the car.

IwantaGT

Apr 5, 2006
Texas
I know my friend is planning on taking his GT and 2000 R to the Texas Mile in October. :thumbsup

Pipelion

Welcome IwantaGT,

to the forum. I wanna GT2, :cheers

Cheers,

Allan

PS Post about the 'mile' if you go, sounds like a great place for a Ford GT.

IwantaGT

Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Pipelion said:
Welcome IwantaGT,

to the forum. I wanna GT2, :cheers

Cheers,

Allan

PS Post about the 'mile' if you go, sounds like a great place for a Ford GT.

thanks for the welcome.....and will do about the "mile". He went last year in the R and hit 156mph while another guy in our Cobra club ran 176mph in his 7000rwhp '03 Cobra vert. :thumbsup

Pipelion

Do they make sure no "green" cars enter?

Because then it would become "The Green Mile" :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl aka Tom Hanks.

Allan