Shocks

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
My front shocks leaked and even new ones I had stocked for years were leaking (seal dried out) and no more spare parts from Ford. My race mechanic built me new ones on base of Öhlins. Perfect fit and excellent characteristics. Tenneco just bought the majority of Swedish Öhlins Racing.
Ok those are Ohlins Road and Track shocks. Quite different than the TTX's we do custom.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks Scott. Appreciate the check in.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Gentlemen,

One of my stock rear shocks (coilovers) was leaking when Sanderson Ford picked up my 2006 GT 2 weeks ago for an oil change and a couple other items. I told Brian to order me all 4 new shocks from Ford and they came in today. So they are available now assuming I didn't get the only 2 front and 2 rears that Ford had. I'll keep all 4 of the takeoffs as spares of course.

Chip

Can you determine the build date on the new OEM shocks?

Reactions: Johntpr

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Can you determine the build date on the new OEM shocks?

I don't know how I'd do that but Brian told me Ford just did another run so they're brand new. These are just the shocks so the springs are off the old coil-overs.

Chip

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Hey all. New owner of an ’05 here with a shock question. The car I purchased was on the east coast. I had it transported to Bob Ida in NJ and he has run through everything that it needed. A lot of work and 7 weeks later the car is still not drivable because the rear shocks have failed and sat for years with no fluid. Bob tells me Ford is no longer making the shocks and he has no solution. So….what are my options? I ordered a set of Scott Ahlman’s shocks from his website and am hoping he is able to supply but he is not certain that he has the parts necessary to assemble them. I’m open to anything (short of selling this car for parts to one of you).
I have a set of new rears Part ASH680

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
I have a set of new rears ASH680

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Oh I ended up with new ones thanks to BMF and Kendall. Still trying to get Scott’s, fingers crossed for late spring.
I have a set of new rears Part ASH680

Last edited:

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
I looked at all the options and decided to go with Scott’s Ohlins setup and set at .5” lower with black springs. Can’t wait to get my hands on these but I know Scott has been backed up. Ordered 8/29 and hope to have them in a couple weeks. Does anyone have issues scraping going the .5 lower with speed bumps etc? Install seems pretty straightforward.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I looked at all the options and decided to go with Scott’s Ohlins setup and set at .5” lower with black springs. Can’t wait to get my hands on these but I know Scott has been backed up. Ordered 8/29 and hope to have them in a couple weeks. Does anyone have issues scraping going the .5 lower with speed bumps etc? Install seems pretty straightforward.
The rear of mine is stock, but Rich Brooks lowered my front using the perches method, which I think is 0.75-1", and I've never hit anything even going over speed bumps. I am verrry careful / go extremely slow, sometimes cringe feeling like I'm sure to hit, but not yet; but also note I live in flat Florida. Anyway, lowering only the front of mine, vs lowering both front and rear, would make the front edge of my front splitter even lower than a car lowered the same front and rear ... a tiny amount, but still.

img_0850a2-jpg.66623

Reactions: Anderson and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm pretty close to standard ride height, maybe 1/4" lower. I am very careful going over speed bumps that look taller than standard, and going in and out of driveway on an angle, etc. Even so, I sometimes scrape. If you drive your GT in the real world, sometimes it's unavoidable. Just go slow, and cross at angles where possible.

Reactions: Anderson and extrap

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Dropping .5" should not be a problem with scraping. I have a loose 1 finger gap at all corners and rarely scrape the front lip (have not scraped diffuser or high centered). The FGT has good clearance characteristics and nose lift seems unnecessary for it where other cars require nose lift for seemingly minor clearance obstacles.

Attachments

• 29050145-31B8-40FD-B8CB-476F323C6D07_1024x1024.jpg
    29050145-31B8-40FD-B8CB-476F323C6D07_1024x1024.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 2112 and Anderson

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
Thanks for the replies. There’s a few spots I like to drive where I’ll probably have to come in at a good angle to have clearance. A front splitter is easy to replace if needed. It’s the speed bumps that had me worried. The thought of a high center and scraping the bottom is a sound I never want to hear!

Reactions: roketman