Sale of NFGT only one of the awe inspiring events at Barrett-Jackson

P3GT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2012
Lafayette La.
Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale is known to all who have attended to be one of the premier automotive events of the year, but I found this year to be exceptional for two reasons. The sale of Ron Pratt's car and all of the good feelings and ceremony that went along with it, was second only to the unexpected appearance of President George W. Bush. It was not just his appearance that moved me, it was the immediate and overwhelming reaction of the crowd. Everyone was suddenly on their feet, cheering and clapping, not as much for President Bush himself, as for the patriotic feelings generated by having an ex-president standing under a huge American flag, on the stage of an event that is unique to our American culture. There are a lot of patriotic folks in our automotive community, and this event made me proud to be one of them. For those who would like to see it, look on You-Tube under George W. Bush at Barrett-Jackson Auction.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I will do just that ... and watch on youtube...
this is exactly why I am watching Barrett Jackson today ....and none of the NFL Football games... love of country.
andy (ajb)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I was lucky enough sit through many hours of the auction in person; I've got to agree that the immediate, generous and spontaneous welcome President Bush received was inspiring. Standing ovation. I was on my feet with a lump in my throat that fast.

The cars were interesting this year, and the several GTs that sold brought pretty STRONG money when the bidder's commission is factored in. One of Shelby's TT cars was there as well (I presume that the seller was not Shelby). It was the silver carbon edition, and man, of all the cars I saw over four days, that was the one that got me the most inspired. I guess my love of the GT is sincere. That car should have brought more money that it did given the massive and perfect mods on it. Oh well, I tell myself, it was an uneducated crowd when it comes to Twin Turbos and carbon fiber double DIN console parts.

Chip, I saw you from a distance on Saturday, but it was too hectic to say hi. Glad you got to press the flesh with the Ford royalty. Seems like our love for these cars make it feel like a small world. Great community and lots of sincere people involved.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
How did the older Shelby's fare? I am probably going to let go of my 1968 GT 350 this spring.

aashelby

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2016
Dallas
How did the older Shelby's fare? I am probably going to let go of my 1968 GT 350 this spring.

You should check the prices on the B/J web site. I would say most under the $200k price point did pretty well. The high end (original 289/427 and 65 GT350R did not meet reserve)