Roll bar for GTX1

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
If you convert to a GTX1 it is technically classified as a convertible. I know that most track organizations require a roll bar for a convertible. My question is is a roll bar necessary? If it is, can a very conservative one be made for a person that wants to go to the track once in a while?

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
Give Mark a call. He has been and I believe always will be very honest and give you a correct answer. I have a GTX-1 and I may track it (I did before the conversion). I believe that the area behind your head would suffice much like a roll-bar (not full roll cage) on any open type car. I do not plan on finding out.

Let me know what he says.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks. I'll check with Mark. I had my front seat lowered by Mark and love the better fit.

Mr. Genaddi

Permanent Vacation
May 9, 2007
The rules differ from track to track and if it is not a race and just a track day there is usually no problem. The GTX1 has a built in system that acts as a roll bar that is bonded and bolted in place but an additional roll bar system is not a bad idea. We can make up something for you if you would like.:banana

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
If this works out Mark, I'd like one / maybe two also!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for the feedback Mark. These ideas answer my question!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
PS. ......I have a GT 500 Shelby(whit with Blue stripes), as well and just had Harrold Ford in Sacramento install the Ford Racing perormance lowering kit and the car really handles nicely with it.

Mr. Genaddi

Permanent Vacation
May 9, 2007
Sweet, I have an 07 PJ Mustang #100 that I purchased for some development work and as to fulfill some unfinished business from my youth. I am very impressed at the way Saleen did the suspension on the PJ with the watts link in the rear it handles incredibly but I would like to lower it 1-inch to make it look perfect. We are also installing the Whipple system on it with Stainless Works headers and their 3-inch exhaust tubes with a cross over and our silencer system design from the GT’s and we will still be able to package the shaker hood scoop on top of the Whipple. The big problem for me is that I am so use to driving 700HP GT's it feels less then natural with just 400HP. When we are done it should be putting down over 700HP at the wheels seeing how I will be running a 19psi pulley instead of the 12 psi that comes with the Whipple kit and we went to an 8 rib pulley setup with an over driven viscous dampener and to top it off we are bringing in Tony G from HP Performance to write a special tune for the SCT X CAL II. I will publish the results of the dyno runs and pictures of the install.:banana :banana

Mark,
Can you do a roll bar like the one that got Franchitti out of his wreck this weekend??????

Dude, I don't want to hear that isn't already in the car!! (j/k)

Love ya!
Kim:rofl

ETA: what the heck are you still dealing with from your youth????? You are building the coolest American car ever, GET OVER IT!!!

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Mark,
ETA: what the heck are you still dealing with from your youth????? You are building the coolest American car ever, GET OVER IT!!!

Heheh. I was thinking the same thing...

I can't wait to see pictures of the modified PJ...