road trip

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Wed. drove from Ca. to albuquerque N.M. 796.3 miles of pure pleasure.
Parked out in valet parking and have had an endless like of people taking photos. Will try to post some pics when I go home Sun.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Ah yes, it is fun to enjoy others enjoying the car. :cool Had one young girl 14-16 yrs start to sit on the front so her friend could snap a phone pic. :eek The wife said I jumped up and sprinted like Reggie Bush making a break for the end zone. Not easy for an 48yr old with arch supports.

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Welcome to the Land of Enchantment. Remember, most of the state is open range so dodge the livestock.:biggrin

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
home again

Got real use to the car on the highway, Did notice a few things.
First off I was behind a pickup truck when a soda can flew out of the bed bounced off the road and was headed strait for my GT just as it was about to hit my car the wind off the hood took the can and literraly shot it up and over the car I was amazed, It was like watching something in a wind tunnel.

Second I decited to take a detour thru Vegas on the way back " won enough for gas $$" But on the way out of town on the S 15 the fast lane had groves cut in the road. I was doing about 75 mph and got a very unstable feeling in the car. It is hard to explain but sort of like driving on ice I just felt like the car was sliding back and forth and did not have any traction. I swiched back into the 2 slower lanes and all was fine. I am sure this was related to the tires and pavement that i was on.

Question has anybody else had strange feelings on differant pavement types?

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I have noticed when hitting a slight bump at speed that the car will occasionally track off course. This usually occurs in the some spot on the same road - so is prob due to surface irregularities and road camber. There is a spot on PCH that springs to mind (near the Enzo crash spot - but at speeds well within the legal limit!)

Some of the cement block freeways in the La Area are horrible; the vibration was once so bad that I was convinced I had a puncture. I think that it's a combination of suspension setup, wheelbase and speed. The directional control was still good though.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The wider your tires, the more prone they are to "tram tracking" on roads where ruts have begun. I've never felt this on concrete, but asphalt roads will have ruts from heavy trucks, especially in warmer climates. There's a ridge formed between the duely tires from the big trucks. I try to stay in the left lane as they are much less pronounced, but sometimes John Law doesn't like that and you're asking for a citation.