Replacement brake pads

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I did a search for brake pad info but didn't find any specifics.
Are the people who track their cars replacing their pads with stock pads?
Are you going through the dealership parts dept?
Is there a comparable or better replacement pad that can be purchased aftermarket?
I plan to run my car on the track occasionally, including a 2 day driving course later this fall. From what I understand, the pads (especially front) last only 2 to 3 track days. I'm having my trans cooler and Ida exhaust put on next week, so I should be good to go thereafter. Thanks.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
There are a few different types out there for track/street use. I use Pagid and they come in 4 or 5 different types for the track ranging from streetable (Blue) to very aggressive racing (Yellow). I have a set of Blue #2487 that I've gotten 3 trips to the track on and look like they'll be good for at least another 3. They do tend to squeak in everyday traffic after getting some dust buildup.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Wear is dependent obviously on how agressive you drive.

Stock pads can wear out in much less than a day.

Demolition Man

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 29, 2006
danville, CA
Porterfield makes a good track pad.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
DRIVEBY said:
There are a few different types out there for track/street use. I use Pagid and they come in 4 or 5 different types for the track ranging from streetable (Blue) to very aggressive racing (Yellow). I have a set of Blue #2487 that I've gotten 3 trips to the track on and look like they'll be good for at least another 3. They do tend to squeak in everyday traffic after getting some dust buildup.

I'm not having any luck finding a source for pagid pads for the GT. :confused Where can I get them? Is there a more common car that uses the same Brembo brakes? The problem seems to be that none of the suppiers list the GT as a supported model.

Craig

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I got my Pagids from Livermore Performance in California (925-292-5522). There are other brands available at this site and it details the different compounds and friction values. I believe the Ford GT uses the same front size as the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/ford_brake_pads.html#Pagid

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for all the input. Based on vehicle and braking dynamics, I assume the front pads will have to be changed more frequently, or do you track guys change both front and rear pads at the same intervals?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi Guys,
The Ford pad is not exactly the same as the Evo STI pads listed by many aftermarket providers.
The backing plate is the same as the Evo STI but the pad itself is much thinner thickness on the Evo STI.
The Evo STI pad is only about 2/3 the thickness of stock Ford pad.

Will they work?
Yes.

Will they last longer or provide better braking on the track?
It all depends on how aggressive you are on the track.

The stock Ford GT pad is made by Ferodo and is a very good pad.
However, they currently last me one day on the track.

The Freodo DS3000 (a step up from the stock Ford GT pad) listed for the Evo STI also last me one day on the track. Yes this is a better pad and for me provided a noticeable improvement. However it is more expensive and thinner so the overall life for me is about the same.

This is why I too am searching for bigger brakes, different pads that matching our true OE size or finding pad compounds that are already heat treated so I can eliminate lengthy bed in processes at the track.

Brembo is considering a race set up but they need 10 customers to make it happen and the cost would be about 10K

Another great member recommended the Stillen AP system. It too is quite expensive but I’m not sure if it will fit the optional forged BBS wheel.

Any other suggestions?