Problematic day for

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Everything sure started out nicely today. Nice cool weather in FL, so I decided to take ol' #1418 out for a spin. 1st problem was encountered when a spirited debate between a corvette and #1418 took place. Needless to say the outcome was victorious for Ford. But here' s what happened at 5.5k the motor sputtered, sort of like when too much boost is applied and the sensors take over. Did I over-rev? I don't think so- does this car have a rev-limiter? Well as was well after that - so I thought.

About a half hour later I went by the Homestead FL track- there are some nice turns and it is quite desolate. Wow what a rush, I was in heaven until..... the radiator hose flew loose- the one closest to the oil reservoir. Depression set in fast. I managed to buy a scewdriver and put it back, but I lost quite a bit of coolant. Has this happened to any of you guys? Check your hoses!
It all ended well- the nice folks at Armstrong Ford took good care of me. With all the poor dealers weve heard about recently it was a refreshing experience- I believed they had closed or were just about to . Thanks Armstrong.

What do you guys think caused the "detonation", "sputter" ? -- Air density( too much boost), revs., fuel ? The hose - it was loose and gave way under pressure. The other has me dumbfounded.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
By the way you are all invited to a car wash party.

Manny #1418

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I have experienced a limiter at a little above 6,500 RPMs, I think it is a shut off of fuel as opposed to electric. The car revs so quickly it sounds to me like you rev'ed too high and the limiter kicked in.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Saber. - Yes- that would explain it- I just was not sure if car had a rev-lmtr.
I'm sure by the time I looked back at rpms the limiter had kicked in.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
the car has a rev limiter, when whipple reprograms they raise the limit as well.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
1418 said:
Everything sure started out nicely today. Nice cool weather in FL, so I decided to take ol' #1418 out for a spin. 1st problem was encountered when a spirited debate between a corvette and #1418 took place. Needless to say the outcome was victorious for Ford. But here' s what happened at 5.5k the motor sputtered, sort of like when too much boost is applied and the sensors take over. Did I over-rev? I don't think so- does this car have a rev-limiter? Well as was well after that - so I thought.

About a half hour later I went by the Homestead FL track- there are some nice turns and it is quite desolate. Wow what a rush, I was in heaven until..... the radiator hose flew loose- the one closest to the oil reservoir. Depression set in fast. I managed to buy a scewdriver and put it back, but I lost quite a bit of coolant. Has this happened to any of you guys? Check your hoses!
It all ended well- the nice folks at Armstrong Ford took good care of me. With all the poor dealers weve heard about recently it was a refreshing experience- I believed they had closed or were just about to . Thanks Armstrong.

What do you guys think caused the "detonation", "sputter" ? -- Air density( too much boost), revs., fuel ? The hose - it was loose and gave way under pressure. The other has me dumbfounded.

Was the Corvette a new 06 Z06?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Yup- those things fly. Never pushed the gt so hard before. There was another non z earlier in the morning. Real nice one. Did some short burst for them to see. They are no contest. The z's- don't blink.

Just finished cleaning up the mess and I can tell you that I am now intimately familiar with every crevice in the engine bay. What a freaking mess. I have a friend thats getting a z- Maybe one day we'll both go to the track. No more of this street stuff- it was very stupid. Yes, roads empty, etc., etc., So what?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Ok- I'm going to bed. I've had enough.

A tom-cat went in the garage and pissed on the car cover!

Goodnight to all - Manny

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Your Rev Limiter kicked, only because you were not listening to your motor or watching the Tach. Radiator Hose blowing off.
Did you bother to go over your car before you tracked it? If not you have learned a lesson. Before you track any car you should competly go over your car either yourself or an experienced tech. I am glad you had fun.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Having tracked the car a couple of times, I can attest to the need to pay careful attention to the revs... I hit the limiter so many times at first. This car is a rocket.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Manny - I agree with the others, sounds like you found the rev limiter! My last SRT10 Viper had the worlds slowest tac, it lagged behind true rpms by at least a grand under hard revs. I found the rev limiter constantly in first until I got use to the lag.

As for the hose coming lose and the clean up, I had a similar experience and you have my sympathies on the PITA clean up process.

As far as the GT VS '06 Z06, I can tell you first hand that the Z06 is fast but it lack the traction of the GT. I find it easier to drive the GT under full throttle than the Z06. Just feels like the Z06 chassis is right at the limit of what it can take hp wise, while the GT feels more "relaxed". They really have very different personalities. At least I can take the wife shopping in the Z and have some place to store all her purchases plus it does not draw much of a crowd every time you stop. :biggrin

2005 Ford GT #1688 Silver/Black Stripes
—————————————————————————————————
Our other cars: 2006 Z06 DSOM / 2006 S55 Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SSR Silver / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Frank- those are wise words. In fact I would recommend driving school if there is no previous experience with such high horsepower/track abilities. I can see where the higher supply of 500hp cars is going to get lots of folks in some serious trouble.

Steve- upon reflection I believe the limiter worked fine. Frank was right on. I was busy looking in my rear view mirror. It sure was purty. The engine is now broken in, it seems a somewhat different animal. Speaking of animals- I never liked cats and it seems the feeling is mutual. The smell is unbearable and will probably last a long, long time. Maybe I'll auction it off on e-bay as a rare one of a kind- scratch and sniff.

And now I see you found the Chevy's real problem- Shopping with the wife.
Ahhh- but you are wise-- keeps them happy doesn't it?

Good morning to all. Manny#1418

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Could I ask which hoses and how tight?!

I'm a sensible person, but not hugely mechanically minded. I'd certainly like to ensure that when I take my GT out that no hoses come loose and should therefore check. However I'd like understand how tight to secure these. Unfortunately the only garage that could check my car are some distance away....

I had a breather hose (i.e. not of vital importance) come loose in the Vanquish and it was very difficult to get tight because the collar it fitted over was also 'squashy' rubber. I ended up using a spot of 'super-glue' to keep it in place.

Thanks

N

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Guys this is not the first time a coolant/radiator hose became loose. As previosuly posted on another thread it was a major issue for Yonkers Ford who almost lost the car, a prospective buyer, and employee.

Always check everything including re-torquing the wheels. The factory has sent cars out with many problems including loose fittings.

Dave

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Neil, the one I had the problem is right next to the oil reservoir. There are 2 next to each other. As to how tight????. I tightened it to what I thought was reasonable. Just to get me to the dealer. I was lucky it was less than a mile away. I would just do a general go thru on all of them. Heck if you think its' neccesary take to the dealer and let them look it over.
I will be purchasing the tech manual-and keeping it in the car. Also a small tool kit.
Maybe someone on the site knows how tight? Thats what is great about this site you learn from others.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Tight...not over tightened but tight. Car should be gone over every now and then. This is the fun part. Learning about our cars as we go. Like the previous post...wheels should be re-torqued, belts checked, making sure bolts are tight ect...ect...ect....this will isure a safe & happy time in our rides.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Never mind about my keeping the manual in the car its- 3000 pages!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Speaking of loose fittings... I was looking through the rear view mirror and noticed that the bolts holding the reinforcements bars that go over the motor were about to FALL OUT! I also found some kind of dust cover or heat sheild behind the right rear wheel that was about to fall off as well...