Power Rings, prevent intake boot collapse!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
NOTE: The information below has been edited since it was first published. Some comments made by others may not be consistent with the present data supplied. Jay

After months of testing, my new "Power Rings" will be released! These should be a practical solution to prevent your rubber air intake boot from collapsing at high engine RPM's.

These specially designed spring loaded rings can be installed in minutes. No special tools required.

Collapsing at 6,500 RPM:
Intake%20collapsing%20at%20redline.JPG

With Power Rings installed at 6,200 RPM:
Power%20Ring%20with.jpg

Production "Power Rings" with Teflon coating:
Power%20rings%20Teflon%20coated.jpg

The final kit will consist of three rings of different sizes. For those running ultra-high boost, >20 PSI, contact us for a special package.

Thanks,

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Would you place one ring at about the mid-point of each of the flex sections of the boot? Will only one of these rings be enough for each end?

Looks great. When will they be available?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Looks like a good and simple solution.
I think maybe Ford should purchase and install these for us :biggrin

I never really paid attention, but it's clear that the plastic is ribbed, I guess for strength. Does anyone think that a smooth channel would cause less turbulence in the air and possibly allow better flow?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Good question SuperB. The Accufab sleeve is very smooth inside and would eliminate any concern over air passing through the "ribbed" portion of the boot.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Power Rings! Placement question...

PHXGT said:
Would you place one ring at about the mid-point of each of the flex sections of the boot? Will only one of these rings be enough for each end?

Looks great. When will they be available?
Hello PHXGT,

Right now you are correct! My only concern is the placement of the plastic stiffener, which is located in the middle (the smooth section) of the bellows. If other cars are consistent with mine, then one ring at each of the flex sections will suffice. This is as you just described.

I will make sure that that the kit will contain the appropiate number of rings to get the job done! There will be an easy test which consist of pressing inward on the top side of each one of the convolutions for stiffness.

I am paying over $1,000 for tooling since there are two different sizes needed. I expect these to be available within two weeks. My order with the spring company has already been placed. They will also be Teflon coated to provide maximum protection to the rubber bellows.

Thanks,

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Flexibility needed...

SuperB said:
Looks like a good and simple solution.
I think maybe Ford should purchase and install these for us :biggrin

I never really paid attention, but it's clear that the plastic is ribbed, I guess for strength. Does anyone think that a smooth channel would cause less turbulence in the air and possibly allow better flow?
SuperB,

The part is made of a rubber material (Buna-N???) and is convoluted for axial flexibility. Sure, a smooth channel is best, however, it lacks the needed flexibility.

My concern of an inserted sleeve is that all of the "cycling" over the life of the car could cause serious wear on the inside surface of the "accordian" bellows.

Thanks,

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Concern about the rubber wearing out do to "cycling" around the Accufab Inlet Support? I don't think so, or else Ford would never have installed the little (too short) OEM inlet support in the stock GT's, which actually has some sharp edges. Anyway, our studies have shown that the normal damping of the rubber boot provides a natural shock mitigation that inhibits frictional deteriation that might cause abrasive losses.

(it's hard for me to type that jibberish above with a straight face, LOL)

The springs look fine too, only I would get rid of the little rubber or vinal caps on the ends. Sooner or later one of them is bound to come off and go through the throttle body and into the blower.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Accufab said:
Concern about the rubber wearing out do to "cycling" around the Accufab Inlet Support? I don't think so, or else Ford would never have installed the little (too short) OEM inlet support in the stock GT's, which actually has some sharp edges. Anyway, our studies have shown that the normal damping of the rubber boot provides a natural shock mitigation that inhibits frictional deteriation that might cause abrasive losses.

(it's hard for me to type that jibberish above with a straight face, LOL)

The springs look fine too, only I would get rid of the little rubber or vinal caps on the ends. Sooner or later one of them is bound to come off and go through the throttle body and into the blower.
Accufab,

First of all I am not taking your comments as "jibberish," instead as valid engineering concerns! One of our jobs as responsible vendors is to prevent engineering disasters. While you may not have had any engineering disasters, I have, more than once. This makes me pick every detail to death.

You are correct and the vinyl caps are a joke. They were an afterthought for the photo session. They were going to be bonded to the SS rings and they had already been deleted in lieu of the Teflon coating.

I do worry about my rings not making a uniform, radial contact, thus causing wear within the bellows in one particular area. Am I worrying about nothing? Time will tell... It may take 10 years or more...

The plastic insert on my car is tightly fitted only in the smooth section between the bellows. Both ends of it are far away from the bellows region. The plastic piece looks as someone "band-sawed" it off of a longer extruded section. It does NOT look precision machined nor placed with any precision. I am fairly certain that the engineering team responsible for this part of the car added this plastic insert afterwards. I also feel that they didn't want this insert to come in contact with the bellows region for the concerns that we have just noted, otherwise they would have done it! Think about it.

Thank you for your feedback. I had only made the comment as I did due to prior concern during a design review meeting.

Also, I have so much faith in your company, that my Accufab throttle body will be on order soon! Please keep up the good work!

Jay

www.gtsaver.com

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
it seems that the only reason that the "intake Boot" would be collapsing would be a restriction in the intake box. Thoughts?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
satx said:
it seems that the only reason that the "intake Boot" would be collapsing would be a restriction in the intake box. Thoughts?
Hello satx,

Due to the amount of airflow required and the cross sectional area of the air inlet, the proper way to fix it is to use a high durometer (stiffness) material for the entire assembly. Due to excessive cost, I doubt that this will be offered by anyone. The restriction on the air inlet box isn't really that bad. That comment was made by another person/vendor and it makes good sense. Since the supercharger has good volumetric efficiency, it will pull in most of the air that it needs regardless of the level of restriction. All GT's should have this problem addressed though. The products offered by Accufab and GTsaver.com are good solutions and should result in a few more HP when running the engine at it's extremes, especially with the "small pulley croud!"

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Anyone have a dictionary handy?
convoluted for axial flexibility
natural shock mitigation that inhibits frictional deterioration that might cause abrasive losses.

I think doing away with the rubber caps is for the best, bonded or not.

Nice to see a free market place where vendors can both come up with different solutions to a problem and compete for customers, especially in a competitive yet friendly manor.

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
I hate to admit it but I was just making up words as I went along, LOL. I have no clue what any of that meant.

Seriously, I did understand the concerns but am 100% certain that the rubber boot will not wear out from the inside for about the next 100 years, using the Accufab Inlet Support. The Support is a very smooth super tough plastic material that is not heat sensitive and is strong enough to stand on without caving or cracking, and fits very tightly to the insides of the boot.

As far as the warranty, if after 100 years the boot has worn out, give me a call and we will refund your full purchase price (offer void if 99 years or less).

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
It rebounds once the forces are removed.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
It was a very clear and informative picture.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Looking at the bellows, the problem is not so much the air flow but the fact that the bellows are made of such a soft rubber - especially once they get warmed up. To use the same softness, you would probably need something two feet in diameter to not see a vacuum collapse (that is also pure :bs ).

Anyway - I think the two designs, GTSaver and Accufab both have their place. If you are concerned about total clean air flow with no bellows and ridges, then the accufab is the way to go - there would still be enough movement in the bellows so movement would not be a problem (or if it is, do the 98 year return). I have seen the Accufab sleeve, and it is a clean product. On the other hand, for someone not so concerned about the ridges and airflow but still trying to prevent the collapse, the GTSaver springs should suffice and I guess would be less expensive (sorry Jay - don't hate me if I am wrong). For those tweaking the power from the GT, every little bit helps and the sleeve may be best - for the no-tweakers, springs may be OK.

My .02 - take it for what it is worth (.00). :thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Why is the intake tract flexible in the first place. I don't see the motor flexing or vibrating in the mirror. Why not use straight metal tubing like the cold air kits for terminator cobras. Problem solved. You could have rubber boots with hose clamps on each end for some flexibility. The airflow would be less disturbed also.

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Good question silverbullit. For whatever reason, Ford chooses to hook up the throttle body and the air cleaner / mass air vane, in all of their vehicles, with flexible rubber hose of some sort. It's never an issue most of the time, with the exception of a supercharged installation that draws incoming air through the throttle body. I have not seen this particular problem on the Lightning pick-ups or the Cobras with the simular design but it certainly is prevelant on the GT's. Maybe Ford didn't think that you would notice this phenemonom, therby cutting the performance potential back a little.

Not to many years ago, on the Ford trucks using the 460" engine and E4OD transmissions (particularly the F-350 duallys), Ford inserted a small plastic obstruction between the TB and the air cleaner. I asked one of their engineers about it, since everyone I knew that used these vehicles to pull race car trailers had removed this obstruction. He laughed and replied that Ford did that to mitigate all the warranty issues they were having at that time with the automatic transmissions, cutting back on the availble power and torque in an effort to avoid the warranty work on the trans. Maybe Ford doesn't want you to go fast, LOL.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Looking at the bellows, the problem is not so much the air flow but the fact that the bellows are made of such a soft rubber - especially once they get warmed up. To use the same softness, you would probably need something two feet in diameter to not see a vacuum collapse (that is also pure :bs ).

Anyway - I think the two designs, GTSaver and Accufab both have their place. If you are concerned about total clean air flow with no bellows and ridges, then the accufab is the way to go - there would still be enough movement in the bellows so movement would not be a problem (or if it is, do the 98 year return). I have seen the Accufab sleeve, and it is a clean product. On the other hand, for someone not so concerned about the ridges and airflow but still trying to prevent the collapse, the GTSaver springs should suffice and I guess would be less expensive (sorry Jay - don't hate me if I am wrong). For those tweaking the power from the GT, every little bit helps and the sleeve may be best - for the no-tweakers, springs may be OK.

My .02 - take it for what it is worth (.00). :thumbsup
AZGT,

Indeed, the springs allow for more "open aperture". When you look through the air inlet bellows, there is no visable blockage. Now, the accordian shape of the bellows can still result in additional aerodynamic drag near the internal surface (as you mentioned). Accufab's sleeve provides a smooth surface which should be better provided there is a good fit.

Thanks, Jay

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Good question SuperB. The Accufab sleeve is very smooth inside and would eliminate any concern over air passing through the "ribbed" portion of the boot.

But it does bend/partially collapse when reaching full operating temperatures.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Power Rings

But it does bend/partially collapse when reaching full operating temperatures.
Nothing against Accufab, however there have been a few perfectionists that were not happy with the fit quality of the plastic sleeve (please don't shoot the messenger!). I offered them a money back guarantee on a set of Power Rings. All they said was "they are a perfect fit"! The material that they are made from gets tougher as they get physically cycled.