Operating Temps Question

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I have a new 06 GT just turning 50 miles. Operating temps are running 200 to 220 at slow speeds. Is that normal??

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
It this in traffic or just crusing. Mine is happy at 190, unless it is in traffic. Then I will see a little more then 200.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
It is for me. A few weeks back some of us (5) did a short road trip through Malibu mountains, lots of first and second gear stuff and as I understood we all ran between 190 and 215-20.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't have my GT to hand to take a look - it being at home, me being in the office - but the dial, as in most cars, should surely be in the mid point. If it's significantly beyond the mid point (i.e. normal) then somethings cooking.

A new engine will always be a little 'tight', but I'd be really very careful and maybe phone Ford just in case. There is a help desk number posted on this site somewhere.... a 5 minute call would do no harm and put your mind at rest.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Tungsten said:
I have a new 06 GT just turning 50 miles. Operating temps are running 200 to 220 at slow speeds. Is that normal??

Depends on the car and how its is driven. 240 is a problem. In my experience the car does run a bit hot. Once it gets broken in and you drive it normally watch the gauge particularly in hot weather.

Dave

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Mine did the same thing for the first few hundred miles, but only in slow traffic. Never got close to the warning, but was over 200.

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Got mine about 2 weeks ago. In stop & go traffic it reaches 205. Once moving at 40 mph or so it settles to 190. Of course it hasn't been that hot in Fl this year.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I went for a drive yesterday in traffic and the temp was over 200 most of the time, of course I was racing from light to light ;-)