New owner, first drive...

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
New owner, first drive…

WOW! Talk about exceeding expectations. What a car. It even looks better in the flesh, but most of you already know this. I’m late to the party I know – but I refused to be held hostage by greedy dealers with premium pricing.

My GT Heritage was delivered at 6:30 last evening. Greg Murray, of Murray’s Ford in De Bois, PA. delivered it personally. Trailerd it 12 hours to my house in South Carolina. A true gentleman. He and his fiancé even took us out for dinner! A real car guy, too!

I’d only ever seen a GT in a crowded dealership. Never in a driveway or on the street. The car is BIG! Very big, when parked next to my ‘66 Mini Cooper! After trying it on, I couldn’t believe the “fit”. Someone spent a lot of time figuring out seating and ergonomics. Must have been short like me! 5’ 7-1/2 ”. It is as good as my custom fit in my vintage race Porsche, which we spent a long time getting right. Maybe I got lucky. Visibility is going to be an issue …any driving cues from guys with lots of seat time?

My first drive around the neighborhood was fantastic. With my long time girlfriend by my side (no necking in this car, that’s for sure) we were like a couple of teenagers. The burble of the exhaust, the crisp steering, the unbelievable brakes! . I didn’t get out of 3rd or exceed 3,000 rpm. Everything is as advertised. Actually, beyond anything I had imagined. Thanks Team FORD! It sure gets a lot of attention. Every second kid had a cell phone out and taking pictures! Even from moving cars. I’m looking forward to the experience of GT ownership and can’t wait to get it to the track! After a suitable break in of course. Gotta run…I’ve got to get milk… :wink

Gordo.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Congratulations, Gordo! You are going to love the car! :cheers
Not much you can do about the visibility except drive faster than everyone else!! :banana

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
CONGRATULATIONS Gordo!! The GT garners attention and you've got the Attention Edition!!! As I understand it, easy does it for a while as you and the car get "broke in"!! I keep hearing not only about how hard the car pulls but how much different it is to drive a mid-engined rig.

I see you're from Folly Beach. Great part of the country, wonderful food, history, and people. Been there, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island many times and will certainly be back soon enough.

Enjoy!!! :banana

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
:cheers Congrat Gordo!!! Welcome to our fantasy/reality, owning a GT.
Drive it in good health...BD40

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Yes, Heritage model. 88 miles yesterday...we'll do 100 today at least. I am awestruck. Can't wait to 'stand on it'.... :banana

G.

GTMark

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
Gordo
Congratulations you'll love the car and as you've noticed so will most of the other driving public.
My tips driving tips for new ownership:
Treat it with respect - if you step on it too strongly you can lose the back even in a straight line - learn where the limits are gently over time.
Keep an eye on who is behind you, a safe way to change lanes is to watch the car in your mirror pass then you know there is no one in the blind spot.
Stay safe - enjoy :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome Gordo, you'll enjoy the GT. I have a '66 Cooper S, it has always been one of my favorites, I will never sell it. Love your neck of the woods!! :biggrin