Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Rita's bitch @!

Super interesting ! That's half of what I paid !!! The few scratches can be done in a heartbeat ! gO for it ! :biggrin

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Normally I'm pretty picky about my cars, but if the damage is really restricted to the rear hatch you could probably get a replacement at some point, and in the mean time you still get the awesome driving/ownership experience for a pretty sweet price.

Wonder what a full rear hatch replacement costs (and how long it would take to get)? :confused

If it cost $20,000 it's still a good deal. And of course you could repair the existing hatch for far less if you wanted to.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Very interesting. The difficulty with the repair will be matching the color -- in my experience it is virtually impossible to match metalic paint without repainting the entire car. Sure, for standard collision work on a daily driver, they can get it close, but a keen eye can always detect the repair because the mica goes down differently and reflects light and color in a different way.

What this means, then, is that to make this particular GT "new" again it will require a repaint WITH stripes. Total repaint means significant disassembly. I'll bet that a show quality metalic paint job, after replacing the rear clamshell, will exceed $30k. Then, on resale, a buyer will probably want to pay less than the established price since it is, afterall, a repaired car. Buyers of a car in this price range wil be very picky about such things.

Good find, Centerpunch. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

It would be a good buy for a guy that intended to do further mods, or was buying it for hard core track use. Or maybe one of those Vegas exotic car rental outfits could buy it and do a slapdash repair -- it would get the stuffing beat out of it anyway.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gt with damages

Don't buy it then ! If all the eggsperttts say it can't be fixed, let it go !!!!!!!!!! Some lucky f***er will pick it and have a blast ! What's the deal with few scratches !??

Boyzz, be real ! Never slammed a car on the racetrack !? :bs

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
SLF360 said:
Don't buy it then ! If all the eggsperttts say it can't be fixed, let it go !!!!!!!!!! Some lucky f***er will pick it and have a blast ! What's the deal with few scratches !??

Boyzz, be real ! Never slammed a car on the racetrack !? :bs

Point well taken. :thumbsup It all depends on what you are looking for -- daily driver, track car: buy it and fix it for peanuts! Collector, trailer queen, show and shine -- look elsewhere. I'm somewhere in between -- I drive my cars, but I want 'em to be nice, too.

SMLDONZI

Sep 27, 2005
NE OH/SW VA
Wow! 150K already.....wouldn't have expected that.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Seller ended the auction early. Wonder what that was about. Maybe he sold it through the dealership, and not from the ebay auction.