New GT owner and possible first problem

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I picked up my new Quick Silver GT (#1688) late this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at the ride quality and low noise level in the cockpit. After the tranny warmed up a bit, the shifter was also better than expected. This is one high powered car that is very easy to drive smoothly. I hope to spend a few hours with it this weekend and will try to post some comparisons of the GT versus other cars that I have driven.

Now to my possible problem...

The drive home was approx. 110 miles. About 20 miles form the house I noticed what looked like condensation forming on rear glass (the one right behind the seats).

Once I made it to the house I opened up the back of the car and felt the moisture on the glass, it had an oily feel to it, not like pure oil but still thought it was oil. I left it alone for a couple of hours and went back out to take a look. To my surprise it had dried up. So much for my thinking it was oil. I started the car up and a slight amount sprayed or slung of the belt on to the window. I revved the motor a few times and no more seemed to appear.

Started looking around the engine compartment with a flashlight and found what seemed to be more of the "oily" feeling liquid on the passenger side of the engine compartment floor and what appeared to be a small amount on the hoses in this area. There was a small pool under the car on this side. It almost looks like the air conditioner compressor was on but it was in the mid to high 30s on my trip back. I did have the heater on but did not have the defrost or ac button pushed.

I looked through the service bulletins that are posted/linked on the FordGTprices web site and see a few that refer to leaking hoses but the fluid does not seem to be antifreeze/tranny fluid/engine oil. I thought about the possibility of condensation mixed with the waxy type substance that is sometimes sprayed on to the engine bays of new cars.

I am going to let it sit overnight and check it out in the morning but in the meantime I just wondered if anyone might have had this happen to them?
Any thoughts?

2005 Ford GT #1688 Quick Silver / Black stripes
———————————————————————————————————————————————–
Our other cars: 2006 Z06 DSOM / 2006 CLS55 Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Problem

Steve, Can't help you yet on the GT. I've had the same type of thing occur on other cars. Once it was engine coating mist vaproizing off. Other time it was coolant hose leakage from poorly secured end clamp.
Was your car the one at Champion in Houston? I looked at a silver/black car there about 3 weeks ago, but waited too long! Sure was a nice one and good price, with the earlier production MSRP. Did they deal fairly with you?
I'm now looking at several others around Houston.
Currently have an '02 BMW Z8 and a '65 SPF 427 Cobra, but really love the GT's style.
StuM - Seabrook, TX.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
StuM - I found the GT at Wichita Falls Ford Lincoln Mercury. It had the early pre 10k bump in price = $156,945 msrp. The GT was delivered to them on 10-24 and they had it stored in a locked room in the dealership. Drove up to see it last week and arrived at the selling price of msrp. Went in to pick it up and was in and out in 15 minutes.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
I went out this morning and started her up. Looked in at the window and it had a few drops sprayed on it. Took it out for a quick ride and within 4 or 5 miles it was pretty much covered with the fluid. Not looking good at this point for my weekend plan for 500 miles of breakin fun.

Decided to try my luck with the service department of the local Ford dealer. Pulled into the service drive and smoke/steam starts streaming out from the back of the car, great, just great. These guys must sell 50 trucks for every car they sell so I really did not think they would be much help.

Boy was I wrong! Turns out they have delivered 3 GTs so far and have a GT tech who was working today. In 15 minutes he had the problem diagnosed and showed me a coolant line that runs in front of the pulley for the power steering pump. The fitting for the line was not adjusted properly from the factory and allowed the hose to rub the pulley. He spliced the hose and secured it to keep it away from the pulley, cleaned up the mess and had me on my way in less than 2 hours. The replacement hose and fitting have been ordered and will be replaced when they arrive.

A big thanks to Terry at Southwest Ford in Weatherford for keeping me in the drivers seat this weekend!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome, glad to hear that your glitch has been resolved. enjoy :cheers

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Everybody ought to take a look right now at theirs, to make sure its not rubbing the pulley. "An ounce of prevention-......"

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Great!

Good news Steve. Saw your similar post on the SVT site. You're lucky you found a dealer with a well versed tech.
The same car near here was also an early '05, thus the lower MSRP and they were, at worst, selling at MSRP. I sensed they might have teken a bit less with the actual final buyer. Their sales manager was a great guy and very willing to talk openly about their expectations for sale and pricing.
I see several closed sales recently on eBay going slightly below MSRP now. Like many of these types of cars, the initial hype wears off and the small buyer pool shrinks quickly, thus the more reasonable prices. I still laugh at dealers I call who tell me they won't consider a penny below $200k+. Even for a car with 1-2k miles, driven by the store owner!
I really like the pic's of the black/silver car, but none reasonably exist near here for actual viewing. My nearby local guy has a late model red/striped '05 with the higher MSRP and he'll sell at that price, maybe a bit below. It's got some minor paint flaws which need attention, but nothing a good detail man can't quickly handle. They nearly died when I showed them the spots, whereas they keep the car locked away from showroom looky-loos in a "bubble".
I figure when it's meant to be, it'll happen for me. It always takes me a long time to ponder the purchase of more needless toys. I need to get a new hydraulic storage lift first anyway, so nothing else sleeps out in the driveway.
Your stable sure looks fun. Enjoy and good luck.
StuM

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Steve, how encouraging to find a dealer that were so helpful! That must have given your heart a bit of skip and a jump!

I can't quite see where this hose is in my engine bay - is it an obvious thing? I'd quite like to check mine.

Thanks

Neil

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Neil - The hose in question is on the passenger side of the car. There are several that run near the bottom of the car and right in front, at the bottom of the engine/pulleys. Is long as you have space between them and the pulleys you should be fine. Mine had the hole form in the first 80 to 90 miles so if you have made it that far you are more than likely OK. You really have a hard time seeing it from the top of the engine, so I really can't take a picture. If I have a chance I may try to put the car up on my lift and see if I can't take a picture of it.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
This was also a problem with some earlier cars. In fact a coolant house broke loose on demo drive creating a very scary situation for the prospective buyer and the salesperson as it lopped and almost was hit. That was a subject of a TSB and immediate alert to all dealers.

Dave

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Steve, how did Southwest Ford treat you with the sales experience? I live in southwest Fort Worth and am looking seriously for a GT. I want to run it at the track in Cresson. If possible, email me so that I can pick your brain. Thanks, AC

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Steve, thanks - I'll take a look...