Need exhaust advice

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
I'd like to get an exhaust system that sounds good. The GT is cool but just way too quiet. I live in a emmisions state so I'd need to keep it legal with cats and all. Perhaps just a muffler?
Anybody have any experience with these? I'd just want something that sounds good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tom

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
There are a lot of very good threads on exhaust systems within this forum. Do a search and you should get all of your questions answered about what aftermarket products are available.

Rob

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I had my dealer install the Borla Exhaust, the one recommended by Ford. It sound much better.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
At least two big-name companies are making stainless piping from the CATS back. In addition to sounding great, this eliminates the heavy muffler and provides much cooler engine bay temps. I have heard the results on a GT done by www.kineticspeedshop.com in north Atlanta, and will have this done to mine when they do the first oil change. www.idaautomotive.com from NJ does a similar modification along with a dyno tune that will provide more HP than with just the addition of the exhaust. I believe Bob Ida has speed shops around the country with whom he has made arrangements to install his system. It's important to hear the system before you install it, because sound/noise is so subjective.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Exhaust chip pulley?

What do you think Bob Ida,Has anyone used him? I know it sounds like alot of money just that muffler.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
First do a search for Bob Ida on the Forum, lots of info about him.
Second, go to his website.
Third, you get a dyno tune with the muffler so its not just a muffler
Fourth, if you are interested in making noise, no increase in performance and high operating temps go with the Borla.
Fifth, if you want lower operating temps, improved performance consider Ida's system
Sixth, if you don't care about being street legal look at other systems.

Dave

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Exhaust System

I ordered the Ida exhaust system after looking at several. The consensus is that it is a good thing to keep the CATs and get the hot muffler out of the engine compartment. The Ida system is all polished SS 3 inch pipe that was supposedly developed on the dyno. It looks good and comes with everything to install it. I'll post pictures of the install when I do it. I'm also thinking of cutting my bumper brackets and making them slip on and off so I can remove the bumper for show and Sunday drives. The car looks incredibly good without the bumper! The Borla exhaust should improve performance but you still have the hot box and lose the Cat's if legally required. They cost too much too. I think with the Ida exhaust and a 2.7 inch Black Steel Pulley (if you get the idea) and re-tune at a SCT dealer I can get 650+ HP. My goal was 700 but that should do it! To find Ida go to www.perfectpowerusa.com I don't know him but he seems like a nice person on the phone and not out to rip us off..........like some folks I've run into. I was quoted $500 locally for the dyno tune and an SCT unit for what it is worth to anyone. I have not done it yet.

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
HI and thanks for the info on the Ida exhaust. I'm thinking of getting one myself as I do need the cats but definately want the sound. Please let us know how it goes installing it and also, (most important) the sound.
Tom

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Sound +proformance

He,s doing muffler no baffels,keeping cats,pulley chip allum air vent,and openning some air ducts,and dyno tune.in about two weeks.