Mushy into first gear

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
I have about 250 miles on my '05. Recently, I have been having trouble shifting into first gear. The best way to describe it is that the lingkage feels "mushy" as I try to get first. If I keep pushing when getting the mushy feeling, it will go into gear but with a very loud metalic clunk.

I've read the various posts on this forum about difficulty getting first when cold, but none of the posts really describe what I'm experiencing. Additionally, I am experiencing this problem when the car is cold, as well as at operating temperature.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Shifting problems

glord said:
I have about 250 miles on my '05. Recently, I have been having trouble shifting into first gear. The best way to describe it is that the lingkage feels "mushy" as I try to get first. If I keep pushing when getting the mushy feeling, it will go into gear but with a very loud metalic clunk.

I've read the various posts on this forum about difficulty getting first when cold, but none of the posts really describe what I'm experiencing. Additionally, I am experiencing this problem when the car is cold, as well as at operating temperature.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary
Gary,

Based on your description, I think that you have either a transmission problem, OR your clutch is not disengaging completely during shifting. It needs to be be checked out by a qualified dealer.

Jay

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Are you pushing in the clutch all the way? I assume so.
Sounds like you need an adjustment, as did I.

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
SuperB said:
Are you pushing in the clutch all the way?

Sounds insulting but make sure you are cause it makes a difference

:thumbsup

Last edited:

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Thank you. Were you also experiencing the same mushy feeling? If so, what adjustment did you have done?

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Sorry, still learning how the Board works. My previous message was meant for SuperB in response to his reply.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will make sure I'm fully disengaging the clutch. Unfortunately, in terms of having it checked out, it is intermittent.

Gary

Bullitt

Mar 25, 2006
glord said:
Sorry, still learning how the Board works. My previous message was meant for SuperB in response to his reply.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will make sure I'm fully disengaging the clutch. Unfortunately, in terms of having it checked out, it is intermittent.

Gary

Looks like in I need to show my dad how to use VBulletin boards. :banana :banana

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
glord said:

Gary

glord

When you reply it automatically goes on the forum as a post. Only a Private Message (PM) would be directed to a particular individual.

Public replies are desirable as everyone can learn from each other's experiences.

Welcome on board.

Dave

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
And if you wish to respond to a specific post click the quote button instead of the reply button. This will put the text you are referring to in the same post as your response.

Bullitt

Mar 25, 2006
BigsGT said:
And if you wish to respond to a specific post click the quote button instead of the reply button. This will put the text you are referring to in the same post as your response.

I showed him how to do it