Magnetic transaxle fill and oil drain plugs!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
These new "billet" plugs replace the cheap cast aluminum ones. There will be a super-strength magnet in both the drain and fill plugs. The GTsaver plugs use the strongest available N40 NiBFe magnets. Below are some prototypes:

Both%20magnetic%20plugs.JPG

Jay

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, I guess I can't make any complaints anymore since I have my nuclear reactor light. If I don't have time to drive my GT at night, I now just watch the light in the garage at night. I'm one sick puppy. See what you did to me Analog!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
That glow....

fjpikul said:
Sorry, I guess I can't make any complaints anymore since I have my nuclear reactor light. If I don't have time to drive my GT at night, I now just watch the light in the garage at night. I'm one sick puppy. See what you did to me Analog!
Hey! What do you think I do sometimes at night?... So now there's two sicko's out there and the number should be increasing soon. Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
This is my best shot...

fjpikul,

You know something, you need some magnetic drain plugs. Could imagine a human with lead molecules floating around in their blood stream and all that they need is some EDTA?

Your oil and transaxle fluid needs something to pull ferrous particles from it so you don't grind everything up and shorten the life of you car!

Jay
fjpikul said:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Changing the plugs implies changing the oil in these components. As time draws closer for these maintainence items, you'll get my order. I'm so satisfied with the other stuff, just don't have time to put a lot of miles on my car so far.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Transaxle needs a stronger magnet!

Thanks fjpikul,

These magnetic plugs have the strongest rare earth magnetic available (an N40). They will pickup material that is missed by the weak OEM magnetic drain plug and the coarse mesh filter that is standard equipment:

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

fjpikul said:
Changing the plugs implies changing the oil in these components. As time draws closer for these maintainence items, you'll get my order. I'm so satisfied with the other stuff, just don't have time to put a lot of miles on my car so far.

Last edited:

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
my plug looks different

Just had the transaxle plug out and it is different. It has large filter screen on it 2-3" in length and magnet in the center. Did youtake that off for the picture? Thanks, KO

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Different plug?

K-P Garage said:
Just had the transaxle plug out and it is different. It has large filter screen on it 2-3" in length and magnet in the center. Did you take that off for the picture? Thanks, KO

UPDATE Thanks to KO for questioning this. There is a magnetic drain plug that is located on the passenger side of the transaxle.

Here is an image of the transaxle filter plug that KO was commenting about. I have ultrasonically cleaned it prior to reinstalling it:
Transaxle%20drain%20filter%20plug.jpg

Here is the corrected diagram which shows the relative position of the filter, drain and fill plugs for the Ricardo transaxle:
Transaxle%20plug%20detail%201.gif

GTsaver's production magnetic fill and drain plugs have a much stronger magnetic field compared to the stock GT magnetic drain plug.

This was a sample of some of the junk that it had trapped while just driving about 50 miles. Since this is the fill plug (not the drain plug), it was merely picking up debris from oil just splashing around with the transaxle. This can be removed at anytime without losing any oil. I would expect that anyone that installs one of these will have the same results. Note the smooth looking paste around the outside which are microscopic silt like particles. The larger metal particles are retained in the central region of the magnet. I am going to clean this and remove again in about another 50 miles:

Plug%20after%2050%20miles%20MED.jpg

After 40 more miles, note that there is much less debris:
Plug%20after%2040%20more%20miles.jpg

The drain plug on right, is now completed and the results are very impressive. It seems to work best at trapping very fine "silt-like" particles. The fill plug on the left is more efficient at trapping medium to larger sized particles:

Order your set now!

Jay

Last edited: