Interest in a VIR track day?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Just thought I would see what interest there might be for a Ford GT track day at VIR. I have not looked into this. I belong to the FCA and plan on going to a few of the local NC chapter track days/year. But I would love to have a VIR track day for GT owners. So far, I have been the only GT at the track. VIR has its own hotel and track suites with a very good restaurant on site. Other hotels are nearby in Danville, VA. If there is sufficient interest, I will look into a track day, possibly in the early spring 2007.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Cyclenirvana said:
Just thought I would see what interest there might be for a Ford GT track day at VIR. I have not looked into this. I belong to the FCA and plan on going to a few of the local NC chapter track days/year. But I would love to have a VIR track day for GT owners. So far, I have been the only GT at the track. VIR has its own hotel and track suites with a very good restaurant on site. Other hotels are nearby in Danville, VA. If there is sufficient interest, I will look into a track day, possibly in the early spring 2007.

I'm in. As you know I live in Raleigh. Seen a GT [ylw/blk] thats been around town thats got the VIR badge and Tiger 6 is in Va who;s been there. I've never tracked so sign me up for the bi-polar squad level [pls -no offense I've never meant to offend anybody, just reflecting on my own personal skills as I've never been on a track] :biggrin

MAD

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
If we were to get enough interest, I would secure some instructors for the track time. It also seems that there are a number of experienced GT racers who may be interested as well. I will make a few phone calls and find out some more info.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Count me in. I have been fortunate to be a member at VIR for several years, and it is one of the finest road courses in the U.S. If I can help getting some info on Lodge rates/reservations etc, please let me know.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I called VIR yesterday and left a voicemail...will try again Monday if I do not hear back from them. As soon as I know the details I will post them.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Vir

I'm in, schedule permitting.

Gordo
VIR member 132.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Ditto

I just brought my GT home today, I may not be ready for VIR but would like to join in for the training. Keep me posted.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
VIR Day

Just got my GT 3 weeks ago and looking to race. I'm going with a group to Kershaw on Nov 6 as an invited guest. I think they are looking for some more head count. Send me a PM if your interested, I'm in Greensboro.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I have still not heard from VIR. I have called twice and left voicemail messages. I will be at the track Nov 9 and will try to personally get some answers...I will let all of you know what I find out.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
are you all talking about "Track Time" or actual racing as funat50 stated? I'd be interested but it would have to be 2 days. 8 hours is too far for a 1 day track event.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I am not sure yet. I am just trying to gather some information. I will be at VIR all day Thursday, Nov 9. Soooo, I will get back with all of you when I have some info!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Ok, here is what I have found out...courtesy of another Ford GT owner who happens to be a VIR club member.
Total daily cost to rent the full course at VIR:
Mon-Thurs Fri-Sun
Jan-Feb $3500 $4000
March 5000 6900
April-Oct 6500 9500
Nov 1-14 5000 8050
Nov 15-30 3500 7000
December 3500 4000

Rental fees include:
1 security guard at front gate; 1 staffed ambulance; 1 hook wrecker(operated by firemen); 1 staffed fire/rescue truck; classroom registration facilities; restrooms; first aid room; tech barn; corner station equipment - fire extinguishers, brooms; start-finish building for control, timing & scoring, with steward’s room

Rentals do not include:
corner workers ($120/worker/day, includes flags and radios); additional radios ($15/radio/day); additional flagsets ($5/set/day); skidpad/autocross ($500/day)--next time I go with the FCA club, me and a buddy of mine will rent the skid pad!
Minimum required corner workers for Full Course: 14 workers on station, plus Control & Pit Out.

Finally and most importantly the required minimal even liability insurance is 5 million dollars. Participant accident insurance is 10K AD&D, plus 10k excess medical (I am guessing our individual insurance covers this but not the event liability).

So, bottom line, depending upon the time of year and day of the week the cost may vary from $3500-9500/day plus 14 corner workers/day at $1680/day. This does not include event liability insurance which I suspect is obtained through various car club memberships (another reason we should form a club). I will contact the head of our local FCA chapter and see if he knows the details on obtaining this insurance.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The insurance will vary greatly depending upon the type of event run and prior experience of the organizers.

If the event allows full out racing that will be a higer premium. If the event has instructors, passing in designated areas only, passing signals and the like the insurance premium decreases.

Also insurance companies look for a track record of the organizers and how did their prior events do.

Is there an ambulance and wrecker standing by in the above indicated fees or are these also extras?

Instructors normally work for track time and meals.

Very few if any existing car policies would cover injuries sustained on a track.

Dave

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I am not proposing a racing event. I would propose a track event (no racing or timing), where we would have designated passing areas (at VIR, front and back straight, and under the bridge) requiring signals from the car being overtaken. As the levels of people would like vary, I would support instructors attending the event (and I would definitely use them). The cost of a staffed ambulance is included with the rental fee.
As a side note, VIR has very good accomodations on site and a fairly nice restaurant. Just FYI.