in light of recent vid's (tech)

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
we have all seen some of the recent vid's circulating that show the Z06 running neck and neck with the GT. I am starting to think that ford put something in the tune of the GT that limits output during hot temps (afterall it is the hottest part of the summer). I guess I just don't see how a 3150lbs. car with ~440 rwhp can run with a 3450lbs. car with ~525rwhp from a roll. My suspision is that as a precaution, the stock tune pulls timing at a certain temp and that it is set up too conservatively. I have also noticed the unusual dyno results for the new GT500. One car dyno'd ~375 rwhp then same car dyno'd 440 rwhp a little later with NO changes. Some have dyno'd ~450 rwhp and others ~410 rwhp. I assume the GT500 shares the same basic tuning software with the GT. Does anyone have any inside info on this? Will the outcomes of these races be drasitcally different this winter? Thoughts?

Reactions: Anderson

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I tend to agree with you about the heat/timing issue. My Butt-dyno can easily tell when the engine has reduced power as the engine temp and consequnetly Inlet Air Temp (IAT) increases.

As a result, I will be installing some sort of aftermarket exhaust to improve airflow and reduce these temperatures.

Eric

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I'm sure its been discussed before, but there is a day and night difference in my cars power when its cool compared to when its at operating temp. I've heard that the ECU reflash and pulley gives you lower operating temps, is that true?

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
yes sir you can make the cooling fans come on earlier etc etc..

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
piko6 said:
yes sir you can make the cooling fans come on earlier etc etc..

Please more pics of your car and mods!

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i just got back from the rally but in the next near future you should get a whole bunch

starting with the lowering adjustment.. etc etc

didnt you say you got my old lambo chassis??

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
abolfaz said:
I'm sure its been discussed before, but there is a day and night difference in my cars power when its cool compared to when its at operating temp. I've heard that the ECU reflash and pulley gives you lower operating temps, is that true?

The difference is because of heat sink in the engine. Most likely culprit is the stock exhaust which blocks meaningful air flow.

Getting the fans to come on sooner will do very little to reduce engine operating temps IMO.

Dave

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
yes probably....

when i removed the supercharger the intake temps dropped i dont use it since i have turbos... the supercharger in itself is a heat source..(i iuse turbos) ... as well as the stock muffler is out so my max air temps for the engine are at 220 when ridden hard for a 30-45 minute non stop racing...

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
piko6 said:
didnt you say you got my old lambo chassis??

Its almost a complete car again, its in the body shop waiting to get painted right now. I still don't know whether to keep the twin superchargers or not.

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
they will keep blowing the head gasket... i would remove them..

that is great though.. man i loved that car

joe... is it going to be black again????