GT500 Coolant leaks - anyone?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12002

Seems a number of folks are experiencing coolant leaks to which they blame the type of hose clamp being used at the factory. Is anyone here experiencing the same thing?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Got 2700 miles on mine - no leaks.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
The type of clamp is the problem:thumbsdow. I had the same problem on my new F250 in '01, the wife's new ML in '01, my new '05 Econoline (that one blew off completey and made a hell of a mess on the engine that had all of 100 miles on it) and have heard of others.
Even though the old screw style is tried and proven these spring clamps install quicker saving time on the line.
I have changed mine myself as the dealer will only replace with original equipement.:bored

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I had the clamp come off on mine, and it did make a mess. Took it to the dealer, they steam cleaned the engine compartment and put on a different clamp. No problems since.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
No problems so far.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
No issues with my car. Just over two weeks old now. Has serious traction issues.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
No issues with my car. ......Has serious traction issues.

So how can you say it has "no issues?" :biggrin

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
Well, that may be the one issue that is good to have. Do GT's have any problems putting power down in "spirited" acceleration? I assume with all the weight very near the rear and larger tires they should plant pretty well?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
They sure do plant the power well compared to a FR car. After years driving high powered modded Mustangs and Vettes, the straightline traction of the GT is really quite remarkable.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Had several leaks at the clamps on the coolant lines under the front trunk liner. Around 4000 miles. Just slow drips and the dealer replaced them with worm gear clamps.

I think I still have a leak somewhere because I've had to add coolant twice in the last 1000 miles. Belly pans make it impossible to pinpoint. I'm going to have the dealer check again when I have the half shaft bolts replaced.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Had several leaks at the clamps on the coolant lines under the front trunk liner. Around 4000 miles. Just slow drips and the dealer replaced them with worm gear clamps.

I think I still have a leak somewhere because I've had to add coolant twice in the last 1000 miles. Belly pans make it impossible to pinpoint. I'm going to have the dealer check again when I have the half shaft bolts replaced.

I thought I had a leak in my FGT as I had to add some coolant on one occassion. Had the dealer add some dye to help in leak area determination but haven't found a leak yet and haven't had to add anymore coolant.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
No leak issues on our Shelby with 1,700 miles.
Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check the coolant level frequently. :thumbsup

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No problems of any kind on my GT500. 7500 trouble free miles. :thumbsup