GT-40 & 05' Ford GT Facts

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Another intersting tidbit.

A GT40 won a hillclimb in France, 1969...

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I heard that #1075 went for approx. $12 million last time it changed hands. Good source.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PHXGT said:
I heard that #1075 went for approx. $12 million last time it changed hands. Good source.

...would not dispute that, and no doubt Walton won't be selling it off. His stable is amazing.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
PHXGT said:

Wasn't Sam Walton the last person to actually buy the car?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
50 BMG said:
Wasn't Sam Walton the last person to actually buy the car?

nope,....sam was know for driving arround in an old pick up... ROB is the collector and racer, and nice guy

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
So when did Rob buy it then?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
50 BMG said:
So when did Rob buy it then?

that I can't tell you, some of the GT historians at GT4o site can no doubt tell you the day and time. Have seen the car at Monterey and Brian Redman's Road America vintage car event... recommend both to you.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Is "Rob" part of Sam's family?

1075 for$12 million... Wow, I was thinkin' maybe $5 million... jeeze I was waaaay off...

btw.. great thread! :cheers
mardyh

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
big Block Ford GT roadster--it still exists

I have seen several pictures of the Ford GT big block roadster.
It was called the X1.
Aluminum chassis.
Given to Bruce McLaren to make into a Can Am car.
it was a pig and never finished a race.
It was given to Shelby American who put a Mk. II nose and tail on it, painted it red and give it to Ruby/Miles to run at Sebring
They won. Ford honored it by throwing it into a landfill.
The city it is buried in is revealed in the new book Ford GT40 and the new Ford GT to be published in the spring by Archivio. So get your skip loaders ready, the race is on...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
mardyn said:
Is "Rob" part of Sam's family?

1075 for$12 million... Wow, I was thinkin' maybe $5 million... jeeze I was waaaay off...

btw.. great thread! :cheers
mardyh

Rob was Sam's son and he is chairman of Walmart.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
bitzman said:
Ford honored it by throwing it into a landfill.

The registry said it was cut up because customs didn't clear it coming into the country or some type of similar BS that I can't exactly remember.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
1012 back from the dead, whata GT!

great site, wonderful history, amazing car that has come back from the dead///
http://www.gt40-1012.com/web/qmhaxejj_00.01.01.01.0000_alternance_2.html

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
Here's another interesting site about GT40 restoration, this guy did a friend's GT40 (as well as his Corvette Grand Sport).

http://www.racingicons.com/

(Note: It's one of those sites where you have to click through the pages in sequence......)

thanks, its been several years since I saw this site. The workmanship to bring back that GT is simply amazing. I have been told that basically every original tub that has not been restored is subject to catastrophic failure. The corosion from just the moisture in the air over the years does tremendous damage.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Here's one for you all:

How many total "production" (street legal) original GT40s were made? I know some GT40s that were meant for racing only were "de-tracked" and turned into road cars. And I'm sure some official road cars were converted for racing purposes. I also heard that the overwhelming majority of GT40s (race and road cars) were right hand drive. However, a few years ago a beautiful, light metallic blue GT40 -- an original road car not race car -- went up for auction and Bob Petersen (Petersen Publishing and the Petersen Museum) bought it for around $325,000. It was an original left-hand drive model, and I think I heard that only about SEVEN TOTAL original GT40s were made with LHD.

Anyway, I remember seeing that car come up for auction, knowing I couldn't afford it at the time, and knowing that whatever it went for would be peanuts compared to a few years later -- after the production Ford GTs hit market and public awareness of the originals shot up. I think I was right on all counts. Tell me you could get that same original, LHD GT40 road car for $325,000 today. I don't think so...

Oh well, mark it up with the $16,000 1970 Hemi GTX (with less than 10,000 miles on the odo) that I couldn't afford in 1993... (sigh) :frown

Last edited:

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Not sure. I got bored one day and counted them in the 1997 Shelby registry a few weeks after I got it.

I forget the exact number but there were about 130-133 GT40's built. That's Mark 1 - Mark 4, the Mirage cars, the one off's etc. Basically anything in the 97 registry from P/1001 to J-12 and built before the end of the 1969 season.

It's by no means exact, but it's somewhere close to those #'s.