Grand Prix The Movie

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I just finished going through the recently released DVD of "Grand Prix" starring James Garner. Excellent movie with lots of fantastic goodies. What does this have to do with the Ford GT Forum? Well for one thing the camera car was an original GT40. Also, many of the real drivers who helped make the movie and are seen in it raced GT40s in the glory days. Unbelievable how much racing has changed in the past 40 years. In comparison the Ford GT has only grown 13%.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I just watched disney's CARS staring Lightning Mcqueen The first thing the kids noticed was how much he looked like a GT.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Grand Prix was a special movie, I don't think there will be a racing realted movie like that ever again.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
50 BMG said:
Grand Prix was a special movie, I don't think there will be a racing realted movie like that ever again.

How true. I was amazed to learn how much Ferrari cooperated with the film after viewing the early clips. I also learned that Garner was a much better driver than I had given him credit for. Bondurant felt he could have made the grid for F1 in 1966!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In case you're interested, "Grand Prix" with James Garner - one of the best racing movies ever - is on the "Movies!" channel this afternoon (5PM PDT). It's one of the over-the-air "dot subchannels". They do add commercials but don't (in any case I can remember) edit for time or content so you do see the whole thing.

It's kind of a sappy story at times but the cinematography of the racing scenes is great.