Getting Ready to Pull the Trigger

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I am a day or so away from buying a Midnight Blue '06 GT. I have never driven the car, only sat in it for a brief moment. Have driven and owned many exotics. Daily driver is an SL65. Is the lack of storage space, poor visability, lack of seat adjustment (can't raise it) and service issues (Ford dealers not having a clue how to service it) the only issues and will these issues make me regret buying it? I also have a fairly steep driveway, might that be a problem? I know it is a wild looking and driving machine but will it become garage jewelry? Just reading about what it takes to change the oil, with special jacks etc. is sort of a turn off. All comments appreciated.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
It's worth it! You only live once...

Rong said:
I am a day or so away from buying a Midnight Blue '06 GT. I have never driven the car, only sat in it for a brief moment. Have driven and owned many exotics. Daily driver is an SL65. Is the lack of storage space, poor visability, lack of seat adjustment (can't raise it) and service issues (Ford dealers not having a clue how to service it) the only issues and will these issues make me regret buying it? I also have a fairly steep driveway, might that be a problem? I know it is a wild looking and driving machine but will it become garage jewelry? Just reading about what it takes to change the oil, with special jacks etc. is sort of a turn off. All comments appreciated.
Rong,

You must treat this as any other exotic car. It's not perfect, however, it goes like hell! It's probably better off than most European exotics. Can you send (or post) a side view image of your driveway? Judging by your comments, you have done a good job of reading postings on this forum. Call me if you like (after 10:00 AM PST) (949) 412-8889 cell! Jay

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Rong, as Jay suggests, it's an exotic and rapid thing.... The lack of storage space is not an issue really as most supercars suffer from this - although the GT is worse than most. However it's not really designed for lugging cases around - a bit like a beautiful woman is not designed for peeling potatoes.

The driveway could be an issue - are there any Forum members near you who could give your driveway a check with their GT I wonder? I'm in the UK so can't help....

Like most GT owners, we have 3, 4, 5 or more other cars - and the GT is the most beautiful of all and a 'keeper'. Go for it and don't worry about the service issues - you'll find someone. Good luck.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Rong said:
I also have a fairly steep driveway, might that be a problem?

Steep is not a problem, it is sharp / sudden dips. I had to do a little more filling in my drive because there was a small dip right as I pulled in and the spoiler did not like (also be careful about the rear deflectors). It goes over speed bumps fine (so far, though I only go over them at a crawl). Not a bid deal to make a ground (dirt) adjustment - the car is well worth it. :biggrin

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
I, too, thought the GT might be a garage trophy. Bought a soft, expensive car cover for it. What a waste! The car doesn't sit long enough to use the cover. Instead of just getting it out on weekends only, I find myself in it during the week for any half-ass excuse.

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
The GT is a serious addiction, you dont want to get out of it!!!!!!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
ditto...ditto...dittto...most fun I HAVE EVER HAD WITH ANY CAR (except the one I stole in Detorit when I was 13)

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Mmmmmm

The GT's (almost) better than sex!
Oh,.....and don't try that in this car unless you're a pretzel-man! :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Rong said:

Don't even hesitate! You'll love it more than anything you've ever owned (although the SL is hard to beat). You don't need storage space for the most part, the visibility is helped greatly by removing the windshield wipers and installing convex mirrors on the side mirrors. If you're short, seat height could be a problem but the wiper removal will help that tremendously, and when you get ready for service, call ahead and talk with the service manager about the unique procedures required. The secret is to study the service procedures yourself before you take it in and don't be shy about letting them know you know. A good service manager will research the car before you come so he can be ready, like the special lift requirements. I've got a small dealer I use and I'm the only GT they've worked on. So far they've done a complete oil change, installed the Borla muffler and, biggest of all, replaced the clutch (a very big job). My point is,if they can do it, any dealer should be able to. As for the driveway, the front clearance is not really that low. Mine just barely touches the top of a curb or parking bumper just like my M3. Go slow and you should be fine. At worst you may have to approach it at an angle.

Go for it!! You won't regret it. :thumbsup

Pipelion

Storage space is a non-issue,

God designed the "can't take it with you" idea, the Ford people "tweeked" God's
idea and made room in the front trunk for a small fexible tote bag full of hundred dollar bills.

When you drive around in the GT, God is reminding you, "you can't take it with you", and Ford is reminding you you aren't dead yet, even though the drive is HEAVENLY, so just bring lots of cash.
Then at your destination you can buy new stuff. :biggrin

Allan

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for all the tips, thoughts and encouragement. Jay was particularly helpful during a telephone conversation yesterday. The dealer is overnighting the papers to me tomorrow so I have the weekend to make up my mind, Maybe I can sit in and drive a car this weekend if anyone is in the San Diego area or I will drive to OC. The visibilty issue and of course the driveway are my biggest concerns ..still. I like to drive my cars not just take em to Starbucks so the lack of room for even a small suitcase sort of sucks. Removing wiper blades so you can see out the window is absurd...sorry. I guess I need to drive or drive in a car. Sure is a beautiful machine though. This whole thing is keeping me up nights.