Gaps in the Body

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Being a handbuilt car i understand gaps in the body. I have noticed on my car that the rear bumper is off as much as 1/2 inch. Does for make a shim kit so that i can
shim the side that is off?

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Hiya, Frank! Keeping the Viper as well?

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
" Hell Ya"....

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gaps in the body

Frank,

I had the same issue. Talked to the Ford dealer, and they had it adjusted then quite well. I think most of it can be eliminated, just take it back and have it done. Mine was off a real lot, and from the front section to the back... Now it's fine ! :thumbsup

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Mine car is "off" in a few different places, back bumper to clam shell, front side skirt to fender etc. They are not large but noticable to me. I will not have them fixed because I think it is part of the cars uniqueness.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
factour999.jpg

:lol

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Qc

I think I agree with your comment, final quality control, or also called ' finishing' is some sort of a joke.... :rofl I think they need to deliver real quality, as this is the car for an entire company, hence image item...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The video showing the US asembly and this picture are just PR posing by FoMoCo. They have yet to learn what real quality control is on a car.

Dave

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
What the "##""?&%

I just took a close look at the lower dash piece on my car, and its a mess.
In several places the leather looks like its been damaged like someone has hit it with a pointy object.
It occurs in many small places all across the dash, so I'm sure its not a question of a person making the dammage after the dash was istalled.

What to do about that, when the car is halfway around the world from the plant it was build and so thoroughly inspected???

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
The rear body section is often 1/2" gap

I have photographed several early pre-production 2005 GTs at auto shows like Pebble Beach and was shocked that they considered a half inch gap between the rear plastic "cap" and the aluminum body sections acceptable. This is because in the Ferrari and Porsche and BMW world, all the gaps are uniform in width and smaller I'd say 1./4" at most. I am talking about modern Ferraris because in the pre-Daytona world, the cars were still using a lot of hand work. I was hoping this would be corrected by mass production but apparently it hasn't.

I think it's because Ford , with a totally mass production background, didn't think tight gaps were that important; a mis-reading, in my estimation, of the mindset of the high roller customer, who is often a manager at work, in charge of other people's turning out quality work.This it no doubt grinds some customers to find out that their Ford GT rear panel is indifferently attached with no consistency in gap width across the back of the car. The fact that he accepts poor quality work reflects on him just as much as if the guy laying marble tile in his foyer makes one piece half an inch higher than the piece next to it. Would any of us stand for that?

Maybe I am making too big a deal out of it, but when I had my Ferrari GTC/4
done,I told the painter all the gaps had to be the same width, and even had him sharpen the edges for a crisper look. I had the car done better than Pininfarina built it because back then Pininfarina wasn't as exacting as they are now.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Welcome to the GT club Frank

Glad you made the right choice. :cheers

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Welcom to The GT Club

White/Blue GT....Thanks i am having so much fun with this car. I feel like 1995 & 1996 all over again. You know what i mean.... Nothing for the street has brought this big of a grin....