Front Hood is Catching

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
When I go to open the front hood the front of the hood seems to be catching slightly on the panel in front of it, it hasn't caused any paint damage but I suppose it could if I weren't careful. Has anyone experienced this? The hood has never been removed or adjusted, just new hood shocks that Rich installed while doing standard maintenance, but it didn't start catching til over a year later. I can only assume its an easy adjustment but thought I would ask before attempting.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I caution you on adjusting the hinges. You can very easily get them out of position, thinking they are OK, and then bend them. Also, if you open and close the hood without the struts installed, the hinge mechanism can cam over and hinge the wrong way, resulting in cracking your hood. The hinges are very easy to screw-up. Suggest having somebody with a lot of experience adjust the hinges. Once you loosen them, you probably will get things screwed up. Just a caution.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, I recently had that issue. My hood struts were getting weak, and as HighHP noted, the hinges can let the hood drop down and forward, contacting the panel ahead of it. When I replaced the struts, problem solved.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
And I should mention, I used the new struts sold by Kendall/nota4re/Cooltech.