First Oil Change?

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
I've got about 700 miles on in two months of driving. Do you think it's time to change the oil? Also, what would you tell/warn the dealer about the first time you bring the car in. (Mine is the dealer's first and only GT, I'm pretty sure).
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Would be interested which dealer you are thinking about?

Smith Cairns White Plains has SVT techs
Scarsdale Ford seemd so-so, at least from sales side
Few other in Westchester do

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If they were all short trip miles and oil was never brought up to temp to burn off condensation I'd maybe consider changing if the car is going to be stored for the winter. Otherwise I wouldn't do the first change until about 2K or 2yr. whichever comes first and I'd also change the filter the first time regardless of what the book says. With the large volume of oil in these systems you can go longer between oil changes and any good filter should be good for at least 7.5K.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There are many schools of thought on this subject. I changed my oil at 2k, many would change at 500 or 1k.

What you can be sure of, is that it won't do any harm - quite likely a benefit.

There is a routine to prime the dry sump reservoir once the oil is out (taking the oil out requires some suction too I think). From memory you need to turn on the ignition, put your foot on the gas (all the way) and turn the engine over for 10 seconds or so.

Lifting the car needs considerable care - are they equipped with the lifting pads? There's a risk they could damage the underside without...

However, this should be verified by others on this forum. Have a hunt through some threads on oil change (technical stickies etc).

Hope this helps.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know it's all synthetic oil and an extremely well balanced engine, but I just have an old school mind when it comes to these things. The engine is new. The piston rings are new. The bearing are all new. There is going to be some metal in that oil. The filter should catch it, but it's not worth the chance.

I changed mine around 700 miles. I will change the oil and the transmission fluid around 3000 miles.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Oil change accessories

We do have magnetic oil drain plugs and jack lifting pad adapters:
https://www.shop.gtsaver.com/splashPage.hg?sourceCode=

Thanks,

Jay
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34