First impressions of paint protection film...

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
With all the posts about paint protection, I thought I would share with you my past experiences with different manufacturers and my expereince with the GT. I have used different brand paint protection kits on my cars in the past. Overall, my past impression has been that Llumar films seem to offer the best clarity (very clear, very difficult to detect), when compared to the 3M and Ventureshield products.

The issue is that there fewer Llumar dealers than 3M dealers, but I wanted to try Llumar on the GT so I had to convince the local 3M installer to use the Llumar film. With some hesitation and curiosity, he agreed to install a complete and comprehensive kit yesterday. I think coming into the project, he thought that the 3M film was superior. However, once he received the pre-cut kit (this is a must because it is cut using laser cutters) he commented on that the Llumar film appeared clearer than the 3M film.

After applying it yesterday, I think the car turned out perfect. It is very difficult to tell where the film is (I had to run my hand over the car to figure it out and go by touch rather than sight.

In the past I was not a big fan of films, and tended to use bras (which only protect the front nose). The biggest problem with bras were that, you can't leave them on all the time or they will scuff/scratch the paint and trap water, you have to take it on and off each washing/cleaning, and it would come apart on the bottom from scraping). Plus, you can always tell when a car has a bra on and it is never pretty. The best part about films is that you treat it like part of the car. No hassle with washing, nothing to fall apart, not unsightly, and protected many more areas prone to chipping/wear other than just the nose.

I will post pics shortly.

Last edited:

Pipelion

lthlvpr,

Sounds like talking a Ford dealer into selling you a Chevy, funny. Glad you're very happy.

Keep us posted on how it works long term.

I agree bras can be a problem. Rain while on a trip was a hassle. With the F GT, where do you put it, except on the nose?

Allan

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Interested in hearing how this turns out over the long run. My two Lotus Elises have "Star Shield" on them, and they work ok, but I still experience rock chips. The nose on our GT's is certainly exposed in the same way.

Pipelion

Cobraman,

You will have to get two bras! Why you ask?

Co Bra man :banana :bs

Allan

Welcome!

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I don't know who writes the material for this forum, but it's better than Leno! Now I'm going to hear how Leno has a GT... I just know it...

Pipelion

Cobraman said:
I don't know who writes the material for this forum, but it's better than Leno! Now I'm going to hear how Leno has a GT... I just know it...

Cobraman,

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :lol

Allan

PS Who writes the material? We all do, and you to are now a part of this rare bunch, so sharpen that pencil of yours. :thumbsup

road racer

GT Owner
May 22, 2007
Franklin, TN
More on paint protection

:thumbsup In case anyone is still considering paint protection, I finally stopped researching and got protected last week. Took the gal to Extreme Auto in Memphis, TN and had the complete Llumar kit applied. The technician-Chris Howard-came highly recommended and for good reason. A true craftsman with pride in his work and it really shows---or more correctly it does't show, which is the objective. Now I can drive that bad girl around town with peace of mind. As for high-speed interstate runs, I am still contemplating a Speed L. bra for added protection, especially for the radiator with the mesh that the SL bra incorporates. In the past I have experienced paint scuffing by bras in high speed runs, but I now have total confidence that the Llumar protection will prevent the ill effects of bra-buffing.:cheers :biggrin :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
speed lingerie bra was the answer for me, tried all the stuff mentioned above on four or five cars.

Naples GT

Heritage GT Owner
May 8, 2006
Naples, Florida
What about the windshield film...anyone have it? How is it?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

I do, unless you follow stormcat's instructions very carefully and have a great installer forgetaboutit. The supplier sucks, do a search.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I had the same "group buy" windshield film installed that caused Bony's nightmare & I had good luck with it. (I had it "Pro" installed - but, so did Bony! Go 'figger'!) I think 'most everybody else was satisfied with their results. ( There are a couple small "flaws" here & there around the OUTSIDE edge of the film ...but, no big deal.)

But, here's the kicker. The "pro" who installed my car's 'film said his local shop could make a custom 4mil thick 'film (just like what we all bought) for $150 - installed.

So, there you go. (You might wanna check with your local "tint" shop & see what they tell you.)

Oh. The windshield evidently took a small stone in it's lower dead center sometime after this film was installed, cause there's now a very small "pit" in the film at said location which wasn't there when the film was first installed. So, I can only assume the film did it's job, as I never even heard the stone hit nor do I know WHEN it hit! (So, I'd say the film has proved itself worthy ... at least for me.)

Last edited:

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
High quality film is paramount and I agree, it comes down to the install.

I tested ClearPlex on an old windshield that I partially covered with film. Using an automatic centre punch the results were as expected - star pattern in the glass. :bored
The same punch on the film side left a tiny divot in the film and no apparent damage to the glass - sold me.:thumbsup
I started with the Shelby(easier) and the GT is next:biggrin

Protected leading edges = protected investment:thumbsup

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
bony,
What brand of windshied film do you have and how clear is it ?

road racer

GT Owner
May 22, 2007
Franklin, TN
I'm not Bony but I think he has the Proline windshield film just as several others do. I too went with Proline and self installed following the step-by-step instructions as posted by Stormcat. Very satisfied with the results even though a very close inspection will reveal a tiny imperfection or two on the extreme edge--really not noticeable unless looking for them. I'll correct that on the next one. Peace of mind is a good feeling--far too much w/s pitting on high-speed cars in the past. Look for Stormcat's prior post entitled "Windshield Skin Report".

Last edited: