FIA Press conferent on Tuesday

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So the FiA has scheduled a press conference for Tuesday, right?

What will they do? They never go to these things so their presence is unusual, and it seems that something had to trigger it - probably the new GT announcement.

In my quick scan again of the FIA GTE rules, the only barrier to entry is the primary carbon fiber construction. CF is currently only allowed for accessories like wings but not body panels and not for the structural tub.

I predict they will remove this restriction for 2016. It helps reduce overall weight, improves efficiency and would be consistent with their "green" thing. I could also see some additional restrictions to the advantages the CF might bring (e.g., reduced fuel load).

Is their event going to be webcast? Is anyone going to see what they called this for?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I saw but can no longer find an article on the web about this that said cars may very well race in 2015 but cannot find it (and it referenced FIA). If someone can track it down and post here it would add a little context.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here is what the 2015 GTE class book says. The translation from the French is sometimes funny. The frontispiece says that the French language column is gospel though:

Section 2.1.4:

The use of the following technical specifications makes the eligibility of a car impossible:

Parts of the suspension fixed on mechanical components: engin gearbox, etc;

Carbon Fiber (except for aerodynamic devices), titanium, magnesium (apart from wheels or standard production mechanical parts as listed in Homologation Form), etc,., or unless specified in these regulations. A car with carbon chassis can be accepted if:
. It is made in a quantity of at least 300 units
. Only the cockpit is made of carbon elements
. No suspension element is fixed on this carbon structure.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What was the outcome? DBK said in another correspondence that it didn't relate to the Ford GT.

So now how will they homologate the carbon fiber construction? Will this rule change happen for 2016 vehicles?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here's the press release from FIA:

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/fia-wec-on-show-in-detroit_2853.html

so no announcement about spec relief for the new GT. They still have to get a waiver for the carbon fiber body. The invite list will be in February.