Evidence of rear tires rubbing inner fenders (clamshell)

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Today, While performing the typical GT owner "anal" cleaning routine I discovered what I believe to be evidence of the outside edge of the rear tires rubbing on the outside portion of the clamshell inner fender. The evidence was a black, carbon like deposit on the outer 2 inch section of the clamshell inner fender and some fine "scoring" on the outside edge of the rear tires where they may have come into contact with the aluminum edge of the clamshell as it wraps around the plastic inner shell that forms the inner fender wheel well. The "carbon residue" cleaned off, but actually came off in chunks like shreaded rubber tires. I am fairly certain that the rear tires are rubbing their outside edges on the inner fender and that it probably occurs during "hard acceleration" :banana . Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Just checked mine - no rubbing.....

and I weigh 250+ lbs.......

Last edited:

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
never had that before

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Should not happen with stock tires and stock suspension settings. Can happen with the Hoosiers and an agressive re-alignment.

Dave

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks, Guys
I'll investigate this issue further. Perhaps I am mistaken and the black residue is something else, but it sure looked like tire rubber to me. :confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Figure it out before August

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Images of area in question...

dbtgt said:
Thanks, Guys
I'll investigate this issue further. Perhaps I am mistaken and the black residue is something else, but it sure looked like tire rubber to me. :confused

dbtgt,

Could you supply some images???

Jay

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
dbtgt said:
Thanks, Guys

If you are running on the standard wheel, I'm sure that you don't have tire rub. When the rear bogs down on the GT it gets a lot of negative camber - in other words when the upper control arm moves, the radius in which it's turning will make it act shorter than when vertical...

Or your wheel is loose...

dbtgt

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm an idiot

I have re-examined the situation and am pretty sure that there is no way the tires can be rubbing. I now think that what I saw was a combination of "wheel dressing" heavily applied by the selling dealer that had "slung" itself off the tire mixed with brake dust from the brake pads. It was caked along the seam of the clamshell wheel opening along the edge where the aluminum shell is crimped over. When I cleaned it off, the residue came off in small chunks and appeared to be to be finely ground tire rubber. I apparently jumped to the wrong conclusion :eek
Sorry guys for the idiot post :willy

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
ha ha ha.. no harm done - but I bet you made a lot of folks bend down and check thier own car :banana