Does it really take two people to raise the engine cover?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
A friend told me he talked to a GT owner who says it takes two people to raise the engine cover. Something about having to manipulate two latches at the same time. Is it that difficult to raise the engine cover?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
VPC said:
A friend told me he talked to a GT owner who says it takes two people to raise the engine cover. Something about having to manipulate two latches at the same time. Is it that difficult to raise the engine cover?

No, the engine cover latches are designed to be opened by one person. You pop the main latch from inside and then 2 safety catches have to be released, one on each side. The drivers side catch is pushed rearward and the cover raises about a quarter of an inch, then you have to walk around to the passenger side to push back the second catch. The engine cover then raises easily. The only problem is if you allow the cover to drop even the slightest bit before you do the passenger side, the drivers side will latch again and you have to start all over. It's really not a problem since the hydraulic lifts keep an upward pressure on the cover. Just another quirk of an exotic car.

If that guy really is a GT owner he should take the time to read his owners manual.

Last edited:

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
VPC said:
Thanks for the insight. It sounded crazy to me that it would take two people. Even an F40 can be opened by one person.

My friend was at a local car show. Maybe the guy with the GT was a salesman and not a real owner. Just a guess.

You should also note that someone with a long enough reach can do the passenger side without walking around the car. I'm just under 6', and I can easily do it. It takes a couple of seconds to pop the hatch, nothing to it.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
reading the owners manual??? :lol
your kidding me, mine is still in the plastic wrap :biggrin
thats like asking for directions :biggrin sounds very gay to me :lol :lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A quirk of mine is that when the engine's hot, I can raise the cover easily as the drivers side latch holds open. But when it's cold, it won't stay.

I'd like to learn how to remove the wheels (properly) so that I can give it a good clean out behind.... There's been much discussion here on trolly jacks, lift points etc but I've been too chicken to try it!