Delorean Alpha 5

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
My wife has been wanting an EV and has been looking for a while, but most are 4 door sedans and she wants something a little sportier (unless you get into the super high end like a Rimac). I happened to see this Delorean and signed up for one. Interesting how they are selling them with a random assignment. We got number 1328 out of around 9500 when I signed up about a week after they started taking reservations. Some people signed up the first day and got assigned in the 8000 range so I believe it must be random. Unlike the NFGT, you can sell or trade your reservation which is cool and I didn't have to fill out an application to be denied. Of course its no GT, but I think it looks pretty good and has some nice features. The old lady is excited but its going to be a while. But hey, I ordered an F150 Lightning in June of 2021 and its still way off according to the dealership.
I am still a wee bit skeptical if the Delorean will even be built and gambled $2588 on it. (You have to join the Delorean club for $88 in order to put your deposit on a reservation -remember you have to hit 88MPH for the time machine to activate. Those original Deloreans had about 200HP so it may have been a stretch to hit 88!) Anyway, I was wondering what thoughts anyone had on the car-don't worry you won't hurt my feelings if you hate it, and also thoughts on putting down another deposit before they are all taken purely on a speculative basis. Opinions please-Thank you!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Good luck and keep up posted! I find it to be quite pleasing, aesthetically. Something I can't say about the vast majority of EV's.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Those original Deloreans had about 200HP..."
My 1981 claimed 145 h.p. as I recall ('had a Peugeot V6 in it). I've read articles that claimed Deloreans had 130 h.p.
They all had a Renault/Peugeot/Volvo V6 in them.
In any event, the engines were well under 200 h.p. ;-)

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Holy moly! Thats pitiful.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
DMC had 130hp on a good day.

I went to the DMC house at Pebble this year and was able to sit in the prototype. The car was attractive and definitely has potential if DMC can get their ducks in a row - the prototype is a rebodied Taycan/e-Tron.

My previous DMC: