Build Quality 2005 v. 2006

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I was looking at a Heritage Edition GT at my local dealer and commented to him that the fit and finish seemed a little better than my friend's red 2005 purchased last year. But maybe I was just being blinded by it sitting in the showroom and the paint scheme. He replied that the newer cars are "superior" and build quality has improved over time. I have no axe to grind and am not trying to start a war, but I wonder if this is true or just typical salesmanship BS. We have a few forum members with multiple GTs so there observations/impressions would be most enlightening. It is interesting to note in the factory tour video that the door assembly that previously took 3 days is now accomplished in one hour! I'm not sure if this equates with better or just less expensive. What does seem clear is that if the cars can be built more efficiently they cost Ford less to build but MSRP was raised $10000 in July of 2005. So does anyone out there think the 2006 cars are any "better " or "worse" than the 2005s? Are there any significant production changes? :confused

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
totally agree and it's one reason, (after price, avaiialbity for my color and quality control) that I waited. I plan on driving my car and not 'bubble wrapping' it for some future spike in price in the year 2020, or some fantom reasoning that the '05 model will have will have greater collectibility...I'm dirving it, enjoying it, period.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't think there's any real major differences. The early 05's had the suspension arm recall and crank sleave problem, but other than that, no one else here seems to be complaining. Mine is a June 05 build I have no problems or issues whatsoever. Sounds like salesmanship. Any of the funny problems identified here on the Forum seem to be rather unique or a small cluster, but not widespread, and to my knowledge, not limited to a single set or cluster of VIN numbers. Front bug screen was deleted, little minor alterations here of there, no major changes.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
No real difference. Fit and finish varies greatly by car. Some 2005 are good some are bad. Exactly the same with the 2006.

Of course sitting int he showroom with a sales person trying to sell a 2006 had nothing to do with the comment.

Dave

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
LEMANSZ said:
totally agree and it's one reason, (after price, avaiialbity for my color and quality control) that I waited. I plan on driving my car and not 'bubble wrapping' it for some future spike in price in the year 2020, or some fantom reasoning that the '05 model will have will have greater collectibility...I'm dirving it, enjoying it, period.
I agree Totally, I can't imagine not driving my GT regularly.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
I have been noticing that the panel gaps seem much more consistant on the '06s.