Braided Hoses

Sonic blue

GT Owner
Jun 1, 2007
British Columbia
I'm usually sitting in the background here reading all the posts that come through however I do have a couple of questions.
I am interested in putting braided hoses on my GT but never seem to see any offerings or posts regarding braided hoses?
Someone told me they leak but I know they put them on Nascars because apparently they don't leak and handle high pressure well? What's the story?
Has anyone replaced all the lines with braided hoses?
Any special brand if so? Any reason why not?
Would appreciate the information.

BOOK: My 2005 GT came with the hard cover portfolio book which is a great piece. My 2006 didn't or someone got hold of it before delivery? Did the 2006 also come with a hard cover book?

Thanks for any info

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Done right they definitely don't leak, although I think there are some low quality braided hoses masquerading as high end....I have Eaton/Aeroquip teflon racing hoses with stainless braided outer cover and they are bomb proof done right....it would be great if someone built a kit of AN fittings and hoses of this type at the right length for the GT.

Tiny

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've put them on my boat engine, but they are not easy to make. There is a technique to cutting the braid so that the fine wires are all cut evenly so that one can put the hose into a fitting properly. Too many hoses on the GT to justify the work. Also, they have minimum bend radii which would be difficult to put in the GT unless one added a lot of bend fittings - whew, that would be a BIG job.

The books only came with 2005 GT's. If you want one for the 2006, you'll have to buy one. They're available for $50 - $100.

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
agree Ralphie....you need the special cutters made just for the braided hose...and you would do those tight U turns with more fittings...a lot of work but if you like engine bling, and from my short time here a lot of us do, if someone took care of making a pre-cut and fitting kit a lot of us would go for it.

I've put them on my boat engine, but they are not easy to make. There is a technique to cutting the braid so that the fine wires are all cut evenly so that one can put the hose into a fitting properly. Too many hoses on the GT to justify the work. Also, they have minimum bend radii which would be difficult to put in the GT unless one added a lot of bend fittings - whew, that would be a BIG job.

The books only came with 2005 GT's. If you want one for the 2006, you'll have to buy one. They're available for $50 - $100.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I am interested in putting braided hoses on my GT but never seem to see any offerings or posts regarding braided hoses?
Someone told me they leak but I know they put them on Nascars because apparently they don't leak and handle high pressure well? What's the story?

I don't think the issue is leakage, rather it's the potential for a leak/crack/wearing that you CANNOT SEE (because the braided line would hide it). If you're checking/changing the hoses regularly, it's probably not a problem, but short of doing that, it's not usually recommended on street cars. At least that's my understanding as to why.

By the way, I see you're in BC. Whereabouts out there are you?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have used S.S. braided hoses in heavy abuse Marine applications for just over 20 years. They rarely fail and when they do, you see the telltale signs early enough to do something about it.

The Stainless braided hoses are HEAVY as well. There have been huge improvements in hose technology that will give you the esthetics, performance and reliability and save weight.

Here is what I would consider the new kid on the block regarding this new hose tech. They will build hoses for you to your spec as well. Remember all the fittings that you will need to connect the hose too. :wink

http://www.xrp.com

Remember, most of this was originally developed for aircraft use.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
When building my Factory Five *Cobra* kit, I wanted the look and alleged performance improvement of stainless braided lines I remembered all the cool kids had on their cars back in the day.

Here is my $.02

• Braided hose won't leak if 'built' properly.
  • It's not difficult to assemble hose ends, but there is a technique and that technique does vary depending on the 'type' of hose you use/need.
  • The type of hose you use/need is determined by the following:
  1. Fluid type - different 'braided' hose (allegedly) works more effectively with different fluids - if you believe the hype - ie PTFE hose for gas
  2. Color aka the look you are after (eg black, stainless)
  3. Fitting type your specific hose demands (eg swivel or static or push-on aka socketless)
  4. The aformentioned bend radius (different hose type and diameter, denoted by the -AN scale, have different min radius/i)
  5. Pressure capacity (ie PTFE aka Teflon lined for high pressure applications such as power steering/brakes)
  6. Weight - can be 'heavy' (.10 lb per ft @ -6AN) or less heavy (Starlite hose @ .08 lb per ft) + fittings
  7. Cost - in most applications, there will be a 'cheap' and 'less cheap' alternative (mostly governed by the criteria above).
Other:
  • Best brand IMO is Aeroquip.
  • Best place to buy said brand is www.aeroquip.cc (aka Murdock Industrial)
  • Except in cases of a few super-pressure industrial lines (crimper fitting), hand tools are all you need for fittings.
  • Black anodized fittings scratch (duh).
  • In virtually all cases, you can cut braided line a bunch of ways: chisel, dremel, hack saw, or the cleanest/fastest/simplest way: a $10 cable cutter from Home Depot.
Standard AQP braided immediately below:
IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

PTFE (Teflon lined-high pressure) hose. Note the acorn (inner brass fitting):
IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

Last edited: