acufab exhaust rocks out

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Recieved my x-pipe today, installed it this afternoon. This is what the GT should have sounded like straight from Ford! :biggrin

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
sandman said:
Recieved my x-pipe today, installed it this afternoon. This is what the GT should have sounded like straight from Ford! :biggrin

Did you install it yourself and if so how hard was it? I have the Borla now but have been disappointed with the sound level. I want more noise!! :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sandman said:

Welcome, another California GT, did you register yet on Awsum's list?

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
TEXAS GT said:
Did you install it yourself and if so how hard was it? I have the Borla now but have been disappointed with the sound level. I want more noise!! :biggrin

Yes, I did it myself. It took 2.5 hours. Pulling the clamshell pins and getting to all the lower grill bolts with the stock muffler in-place were the toughest parts. The sound is great! Unfourtunatly I haven't heard the Borla so can't compare.

A little background: I grew up racing boats and dirt bikes. I'm a certified heavy duty truck mechanic and certified welder. I spent a couple years after college working at an independent porshe/bmw shop. So I have a little more experiance and tools than the average bear.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Removing the clamshell

sandman said:
Yes, I did it myself. It took 2.5 hours. Pulling the clamshell pins and getting to all the lower grill bolts with the stock muffler in-place were the toughest parts. The sound is great! Unfourtunatly I haven't heard the Borla so can't compare.

This idea of the pins (instead of the bolts) has come up before, so I did ask at Saleen about their method for removing the clamshell.

The answer was YES, remove the pins. Takes three people (two to hold the clamshell and one to put the pins).

I was told pliers help on the pin pull. Oil on the pins and a tapered probe to align the holes is the method for replacing the lid.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If you are willing to cut the tips off the stock muffler you do not need to remove the rear clam.

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
This is George again at Accufab. We did a photo install on our website showing the procedure for the X-Pipe installation (would also pertain to any GT muffler system install). www.accufabracing.com

Click on the picture of the "GT project" on the home page.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
AZGT said:
This idea of the pins (instead of the bolts) has come up before, so I did ask at Saleen about their method for removing the clamshell.

The answer was YES, remove the pins. Takes three people (two to hold the clamshell and one to put the pins).

I was told pliers help on the pin pull. Oil on the pins and a tapered probe to align the holes is the method for replacing the lid.

We did all of that...the pins are just tough to pull out. The right side wasn't too bad but the left took some work. It was just a very tight fitting pin.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Accufab said:
This is George again at Accufab. We did a photo install on our website showing the procedure for the X-Pipe installation (would also pertain to any GT muffler system install). www.accufabracing.com

Click on the picture of the "GT project" on the home page.

Very nice! Wish I would have known about it before I did mine. The only difference with my install was that I didn't drop the pan completely.