Don't be this guy

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Probably still got those tires from 2005 looks like he landed safely though luckily
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4asPn9A7d3/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You can still do that on the Bridgestones, but it is harder to get that loose.

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I've spun out several times(on track) with fresh tires. Seems like once it goes, it's gone. If I lift it spins opposite the turn. If I stay on it, it continues the same direction. I even tried to drift on a skid pad but every time it let loose, it went. Observer said front tires were aimed as they should be so maybe a sportier alignment is necessary? That said, any recommendations for a track alignment on this car? Tire pressures? Be careful out there.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
:oops: and the camera man just stands there like an idiot waiting to be hit.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You can still do that on the Beridgestones, but it is harder to get that loose.
Coming out of a meet in the morning == cold tires on cold pavement == expect a pucker moment and behave accordingly. He thought it was warmer than it was. No doubt violated the rule of "never step on the accelerator unless you're going in a straight line".

Probably no damage except to ego. But definitely a pucker moment.

Reactions: Twturbo

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
:oops: and the camera man just stands there like an idiot waiting to be hit.
Just like some selfie takers back up off the edge of the Grand Canyon. Stupid people should be allowed to die.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Just like some selfie takers back up off the edge of the Grand Canyon. Stupid people should be allowed to die.
"stupid should hurt"

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
I've spun out several times(on track) with fresh tires. Seems like once it goes, it's gone. If I lift it spins opposite the turn. If I stay on it, it continues the same direction. I even tried to drift on a skid pad but every time it let loose, it went. Observer said front tires were aimed as they should be so maybe a sportier alignment is necessary? That said, any recommendations for a track alignment on this car? Tire pressures? Be careful out there.
Hi GT@50 I think engine in rear makes is spin, weight wants to move forward, by the way at track are you rev matching? Heel toe or what is your technique?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hi GT@50 I think engine in rear makes is spin, weight wants to move forward, by the way at track are you rev matching? Heel toe or what is your technique?
For now, down shift in a straight line with a chirp! lol I haven't figured out the heel/toe thing yet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"stupid should hurt"
The quote is derived from an event in the 70's in Phoenix when the Salt River flowed (not necessarily flooded) but huge amounts of water washed out the roads that crossed between Tempe and Scottsdale. The few bridges that crossed had at grade approaches that also washed out. The picture was from some woman being plucked from the roof of her car by a helicopter rescue team. "Stupid people..."...

Chip may remember those years - the only crossings were McClintock, the Tempe bridge and I10 otherwise the north and south were isolated.

Then to improve things they actually ran portions of the freeway on stilts in the river bed....

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
the cars do lose the rear end easily fresh tires or not! Every time I drive mine I am super cautious, but drive my Porsche with abandon!!!!

Reactions: Simon and Twturbo

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes. Although instant torque is exhilarating, there is a definite downside, which is that you can overpower the tires before the car has transferred weight rearward under acceleration.

In newer cars with traction control and other dynamic sensors and interventions, you can stomp on the go pedal of say, a Tesla, and it won't instantly overpower the tires and swap ends. As you all know, our Gen1's don't have any traction control or other nannies, so YOU are the traction control.

Therefore, don't just stomp the gas pedal. give it about a 1-second "mash" to allow weight to transfer to the rear wheels and increase their traction.

IMPORTANT POINT, LEARNED FROM EXPERIENCE: The one "nanny" we do have is anti-lock brakes. In this generation, ABS is not sophisticated enough to sense whether the car is going backwards or forwards. THEREFORE, ABS ENGAGES GOING BACKWARDS TOO!!

If you learned to drive on a track in the olde days, you learned the rule: "If you spin, both feet in." That is, hold down both the clutch pedal (to not stall the engine) and lockup the brakes, which will cause the car to keep going in a straight line (even if it was rotated backwards or sideways) in whatever direction it was going when you locked the brakes--Newton was in control, and you generally slid straight down the track or off the track. HOWEVER, with ABS, if you lock the brakes, the ABS will release them until the wheels are all turning again, EVEN IF YOU ARE GOING BACKWARDS! This causes the car to shoot off in some wild direction. I don't now about you, but I didn't learn to drive going backwards at speed, so it catches one off-guard in the "Oh Shit!" moment. You are very likely to roll backwards into the left or right guardrail instead of sliding straight ahead.

Be aware of this!

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
And another one ,I had to take a second look for a minute it looked like me pulling out of the meet this morning

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yes. Although instant torque is exhilarating, there is a definite downside, which is that you can overpower the tires before the car has transferred weight rearward under acceleration.

In newer cars with traction control and other dynamic sensors and interventions, you can stomp on the go pedal of say, a Tesla, and it won't instantly overpower the tires and swap ends. As you all know, our Gen1's don't have any traction control or other nannies, so YOU are the traction control.

Therefore, don't just stomp the gas pedal. give it about a 1-second "mash" to allow weight to transfer to the rear wheels and increase their traction.

IMPORTANT POINT, LEARNED FROM EXPERIENCE: The one "nanny" we do have is anti-lock brakes. In this generation, ABS is not sophisticated enough to sense whether the car is going backwards or forwards. THEREFORE, ABS ENGAGES GOING BACKWARDS TOO!!

If you learned to drive on a track in the olde days, you learned the rule: "If you spin, both feet in." That is, hold down both the clutch pedal (to not stall the engine) and lockup the brakes, which will cause the car to keep going in a straight line (even if it was rotated backwards or sideways) in whatever direction it was going when you locked the brakes--Newton was in control, and you generally slid straight down the track or off the track. HOWEVER, with ABS, if you lock the brakes, the ABS will release them until the wheels are all turning again, EVEN IF YOU ARE GOING BACKWARDS! This causes the car to shoot off in some wild direction. I don't now about you, but I didn't learn to drive going backwards at speed, so it catches one off-guard in the "Oh Shit!" moment. You are very likely to roll backwards into the left or right guardrail instead of sliding straight ahead.

Be aware of this!
I doubt that there are very few GT owners that have gotten into the anti -lock. Forwards or backwards. As hard as I tried, I got all 4 locked up going backwards, but anti-lock did not kick in.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
it happened to me twice, once at The Ridge Motorsports track. I damn sure was rolling backwards with my foot hard on the brake pedal. Into the infield, so no harm done.

MR. 5 MPG

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2024
SoCal
Is it feasible to pull the fuse on the ABS system before going on a track?

I've done that on older cars and the brake system operated like a non-ABS system. Nothing weird.

But, I don't know what kind of hysterics pulling the fuse would throw a GT into.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Is it feasible to pull the fuse on the ABS system before going on a track?

I've done that on older cars and the brake system operated like a non-ABS system. Nothing weird.

But, I don't know what kind of hysterics pulling the fuse would throw a GT into.

Thoughts? Experiences?
ABS is a good way to learn threshold braking while being safe.

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Most Likely has stock tires on car.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
It's hard to analyze, given the fields of view, but those two videos look suspiciously like the same car on the same stretch of road, two different times, with slightly different results.

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
Looked like a black car first, then a blue car. I would take the blue car off there hands if it is just to much.