OH NO! I rurnt my car

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Well thats how I felt anyway when I scraped the passenger side mirror on my lift yesterday. I am usually super careful pulling under the lift but I had the Macintosh cranked up due to my awesome sounding X pipe, and some obnoxious DJ parody song was playing so I looked down to turn it off for an instant and then heard that terrible sound--- CRUNCHHHH (damn these cars are wide!)
I can find Quick Silver touch up paint online but I have never had much luck with other cars and repairing chips and such. Any advice on best touch up paint for and method to fix this would be greatly appreciated. This car was MINT before this incident which my son described as it being totaled. Oh no, will this be like a carfax that someone can lookup one day and say "that car has a story!" That won't be my problem as I am never selling this car-kids will have to deal with it! I am having trouble inserting a picture, it is only giving me a link option???
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KEj12tmzevnEXAUC6

Tomcat

GT Owner
SORRY to hear that. I would get high quality swirl remover/polishing compound and try to remove any marks that can be polished out. I too have not been happy with my touch-up technique on other cars...but a pro shop may be able to do it (on a mirror as opposed to a panel).

Reactions: RPM217

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
A skilled person can make that look “decent” easily enough, but the good news is that if you have to have it perfect, it wouldn’t be difficult to just have that mirror housing repainted.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Holy crap man. Your son was right! Your car is totalled 😁

A bit love and some paint and it'll be good as new. Shit happens and life is short, don't sweat the small stuff.

QSS

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Forget touchup on that.Just remove mirror and send it to body shop.its an easy deal

Reactions: 2112

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Find a good airbrush touch-up guy to come out and you will be good as new like it if never happened. He will sand the areas around it down, airbrush the paint in, then wet sand it down to same level and viola, good as new. It’s not bad enough for a body shop.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
thankfully not bad at all. The Porsche and Mercedes dealers have guys they know who can fix something like this. It is often done to repair transportation damage without cracking open a paint sprayer. Hope is not lost on this one, sorry it happened

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Well thats how I felt anyway when I scraped the passenger side mirror on my lift yesterday. I am usually super careful pulling under the lift but I had the Macintosh cranked up due to my awesome sounding X pipe, and some obnoxious DJ parody song was playing so I looked down to turn it off for an instant and then heard that terrible sound--- CRUNCHHHH (damn these cars are wide!)
I can find Quick Silver touch up paint online but I have never had much luck with other cars and repairing chips and such. Any advice on best touch up paint for and method to fix this would be greatly appreciated. This car was MINT before this incident which my son described as it being totaled. Oh no, will this be like a carfax that someone can lookup one day and say "that car has a story!" That won't be my problem as I am never selling this car-kids will have to deal with it! I am having trouble inserting a picture, it is only giving me a link option???
Hope it didn't damage a leading edge where the most damage happened. If it did then some filler will be needed to build it back. No need to remove the mirror as a good airbrush artist will be able to find a good place to hind a blend. A wheel repair person might be someone to contact.

AJK

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Hell it’s totaled! PM me for fast cash settlement!