Battery trickle charger

asesso

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2016
Ocean City NJ
I want to attach a battery tender plug wire to my GT's battery. I have read in some posts that there may be a factory unit already installed. Is this true? If I do go with the battery tender, what is a convenient location for the plug to exit into the trunk?
Art

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The factory charger plugs into the convenience outlet in the passenger compartment (by the radio).

Someone here used to sell a charger/cable that went from the battery to a plug/socket that is mounted under the hood in the radiator air intake area (across from the receiver for the tow hook area). I had a better charger but the cable is pretty nice and clutter free. You just have to remember to disconnect it before driving away :).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'll cut you some slack before Dr. Frank or Bill jump in with the search function reprimand.

No 'built-in unit'. You can purchase an aftermarket solution from member nota4re (Kendall) that routes the female end of the trickle charger to the front grill. Some have routed a charger cable to exit in front of the windshield. I debated doing both of these but in the end, I just use the cigarette lighter in the cabin. Have been closing the door on the cable for years and it's no worse for wear.

asesso

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2016
Ocean City NJ
Thanks for the quick response, one more silly question, where is the factory charger located?
Art

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks for the quick response, one more silly question, where is the factory charger located?
Art

May or may not have been included with your car depending on what the previous owner did with it. If you have the car cover and bag, I'd check in there first.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Just get a battery tender Jr and make sure it has the cigarette lighter piece in the kit or order that separately. I just let the window down an inch.

asesso

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2016
Ocean City NJ
Thanks for the advice. Battery tender adapter on the way
Art

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'll cut you some slack before Dr. Frank or Bill jump in with the search function reprimand.

No 'built-in unit'. You can purchase an aftermarket solution from member nota4re (Kendall) that routes the female end of the trickle charger to the front grill. Some have routed a charger cable to exit in front of the windshield. I debated doing both of these but in the end, I just use the cigarette lighter in the cabin. Have been closing the door on the cable for years and it's no worse for wear.

There that's it - nota4re's kit is what I have. The cabling is really great.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Art

The factory charger is a separate unit that would have been in the accesory kit. It had a wall-wart and a fairly long cable that looked like an automobile cell phone charger head. It plugged into the accessory outlet. If you don't see it it probably didn't come with your car. If you don't have the factory one or want the inconvenience of stringing it through the window then nota4re's unit is the way to go.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have one that attaches to the battery in the front of the trunk area with a wire I pull thru front fan grill area.. I think I bought it at Walmart years ago... Works great... I think it may be a version of the battery tender...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I just use the cigarette lighter in the cabin. Have been closing the door on the cable for years and it's no worse for wear.

That's what I do. Got mine from Scott (northwoodgt)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat

GT Owner
I run the quick-disconnect out the rubber insulation at the base of the passenger side hood extractor. The disconnect comes with an attached plug cap...so I drive like that.

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I have both. Bonehead's method is simplest IMO unless you have it on lift

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I run the quick-disconnect out the rubber insulation at the base of the passenger side hood scoop. The disconnect comes with an attached plug cap...so I drive like that.

"passenger side hood scoop" ???

Are you referring to the air extractor?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Mine is still un-opened and unused. Never had any problems with not using it.

Have left the GT parked for a few months at a time, and it always started right up.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Best solution? Drive it more.
I drive all mine regularly and don't use chargers.

Dolph

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The OEM Ford unit is $125 off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-GT-OEM...ash=item28145f2915:g:EtIAAOSwYlJW5VuA&vxp=mtr

The Battery Tender Jr. is $25; you can sell the two cables it comes with for $7.50/ea. on ebay to pay for cigarette port adapter and 12ft or 25ft cord.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...263_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WB7SZCYGDKY4HYRQMKD

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=15JXCH05Z4HAK7PE36BD

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1JAM4BYNGR5MSGD538BY

The cable can fit in split in door rubber-moulding near FORD sill plate; so you have zero paint, rubber, cord, sill plate wear!

The Battery tender unit has red/green status lights; while the Ford unit has a 25ft cord and zipper pouch.

Tomcat

GT Owner
"passenger side hood scoop" ???

Are you referring to the air extractor?

Okay, extractor...but it does kinda look like a sugar scoop on the hood.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hope these pictures help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 189

asesso

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2016
Ocean City NJ
It sounds like the best plan will be the battery tender with cigarette adapter. I would still like to find the oem Ford unit to place under the hood. I missed the one on eBay. Thanks for the help and pictures
Art