Ferrari???

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I respect you guys on cars more than anyone. I am a member of multiple car forums such as lamborghini-talk and fchat. I don't have either of those bands. However, I am intriguied by both brands. First and foremost, I am a CAR GUY. I have always been a Lamborghini fan and if not for the Ford GT, I would own a Murcielago right now. (Short story...I wanted a Lambo since I was a kid.....Diablo or Countach, however, practically speaking, I found a Murcie roadster that I had as much as made a deal on. I drove it and was really disappointed as my Viper was more visceral and it was as "smooth" as my Honda Accord. It was just so doscile for what I had in mind an exotic was supposed to be. They then "coaxed" me into driving the FGT on the lot and well....I had a huge smile on my face and the rest is history)

So, back to the Ferrari. I have never driven one, but, why do people make them out to be the most special brand of all time. Also, the prices are crazy for old 308s, 328, 348...3xxx. Also, the front engine V12's hold crazy prices and when you read these forums, the owners say how great all these multiple models are. I wish I had the funds to experience at least the 430, etc, however, its just not the case. For you guys who are fortunate to have experienced the great and wonderful, Ferrari, are they "that special"? I mean they just keep making a better car....430...458...488. Then I hear guys saying the 430 is more special and better "drivers car" than the 458, etc. Now, I'm hearing how certain guys want to keep their 458 and not upgrade to the 488 because its too refined!!! Can someone please enlighten me so I will quit dreaming of owing some kind of Ferrari.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Subscribed...

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
What's a Ferrari? :willy:facepalm::confused

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Front engined V-12. ? A 456, 550 or a 612. The 4 seaters (456, 612) are undervalued for sure. The late David E. Davis, of Car and Driver, said "everyone should drive a V-12 at least once in their lifetime."

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I mean just Ferrari in general. I know gtdrummer just picked up an F12. That's my point. So many cars and so many models!! I was not necessarily talking about the just the front engined cars. Oh yea then there's the FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If you ever get the itch for a F-car, just remember, "the cheapest part of owning a Ferrari is buying it." Also, some of us taller folks will not fit comfortably in many of the models. They do make some nice noise, but I'm spoiled by big V-8's and I still get a kick out of the supercharger whine.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ferrari is magical and wonderful simply because it is directly responsible for the Ford GT and, for that, I will always be appreciative.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have owned two, so I am far from an expert. Had a 458 for 4 years and it was bullet proof. Have had an F12 all of a week, and while not a radical design imo , it is really stupid fast-- can't tell the difference with an Aventador.

Not sure I agree with Pete saying cheapest part is buying one at least since 2012. It's the ONLY car I ever bought with a 7 year free maintenance.I never fixed anything on 458 and drove it at lot.

I'm a touch over 6'4" and zero problems with Ferrari. Lambo and McClarens I have owned are a tough fit. My 6'7" son got in the F12 and 458 -- no issues. He got stuck in my 650s and took us awhile to get him out.

On the downside, the F crowd tends to be a little full of themselves . Spend time on their forums, and you will appreciate this one.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Agree with GTdrummer on nearly all.

Especially re: the fair number of a-hole owners.

For me, a black F50 works, other than that, my F itch is cured.

jasonjsipos

GT Owner
Dec 22, 2010
Powell, Ohio
I have a 308 and a 360 CS, and I enjoy them both. Obviously you expect different experiences from them. As for size, the 360 has a lot more room than my Ford GT, but when it comes to taking one for a drive, the Ford tends to go out more often. And while there are a lot of a-hole online, the Ferrari Club in
Ohio is full of great people, just like this forum.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have owned two, so I am far from an expert. Had a 458 for 4 years and it was bullet proof. Have had an F12 all of a week, and while not a radical design imo , it is really stupid fast-- can't tell the difference with an Aventador.

Not sure I agree with Pete saying cheapest part is buying one at least since 2012. It's the ONLY car I ever bought with a 7 year free maintenance.I never fixed anything on 458 and drove it at lot.

I'm a touch over 6'4" and zero problems with Ferrari. Lambo and McClarens I have owned are a tough fit. My 6'7" son got in the F12 and 458 -- no issues. He got stuck in my 650s and took us awhile to get him out.

On the downside, the F crowd tends to be a little full of themselves . Spend time on their forums, and you will appreciate this one.

I think GT Drummer sums it up nicely. I also had a 458, for a year or so. Was hard to find any fault with it. Quite roomy too at my 6'4". They make some really nice cars. I also don't love the F crowd much, though I tend to stick to my self more than going to shows and Cars/Coffee.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Alfa and subsequently Ferrari (who was the team manager for Alfa after WWII), along with Lancia and Maserati successfully took the fight (the car wars) to the the Germans Audi and Mercedes, and against the Brits (Jaguar, Vanwall, Aston Martin, etc) in the years following the war. And they had some very courageous drivers in Nuvolari, Ascari , Taruffi, Farina, etc. All of them at one time drove for Enzo Ferrari and won Grands Prix for the Commendatore. When Alfa quit racing the 1948 (I think), Enzo bought the team cars and continued racing them, while he started the factory for his own cars. He brought significant pride to the Italian people who have always been lovers of fine automobiles and women, of course. As such, he was always committed to racing and winning races for his country. And, he was very successful at it.

To support and fund his racing, he was lucky to have Luigi Chinetti, who had won the 24 hour races at Le Mans 3 times and Spa twice, come to America and set up the Ferrari importation in New York. At that time sports cars were becoming popular in the USA as many GIs had seen them in Europe after the war. With drivers like Carroll Shelby, Masten Gregory and Phil Hill, who were up and coming young men and winning races in the Ferrari and Maserati cars, these marques became legendary and desired. Thus the sale of desirable street Ferraris continued to fund the racing efforts at Modena.

And that continues to this day.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

They do tend to have the Ferrari clothing and matching accessories figured out though.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
They do tend to have the Ferrari clothing and matching accessories figured out though.

Now that's funny. At our local C and C, they do fit that description!!!

One guy who has a F40 came up to me and asked, "why in the world would I put turbos on a GT40 (yes he said GT40 but that's ok). I told him he has turbos on his F40.

Yes, I like reading Fchat but WOW....it is a different crowd. You would think everyone was a gazzilonaire as well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was real close to getting a 360 spyder once. It looked and sounded sexy. But the closest support pod was 75 miles away, and from what I heard, they require lots of support. And they think highly of their support personnel and charge accordingly. I opted for the one that I could work on myself.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'll defer to GTDrummer on the cost of maintenance, since he's owned several. I got the itch for one some years ago, and tried out a few. Not the F12 or more recent models. I just didn't fit comfortably in the ones I looked at, and I'm "only" 6'2". In the old Magnum PI show, Tom Selleck drove a Ferrari 308, but they must have modified it for him, 'cause he is 6'4".

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
... In the old Magnum PI show, Tom Selleck drove a Ferrari 308, but they must have modified it for him, 'cause he is 6'4".

The secret was that he never drove it with the top on.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
This is me at a recent F event. I am considered one of the more conservative members.

Attachments

• ferrari-guy-1.jpeg
    ferrari-guy-1.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 204

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
In the old Magnum PI show, Tom Selleck drove a Ferrari 308, but they must have modified it for him, 'cause he is 6'4".

The secret was that he never drove it with the top on.

I know.. right? I mean look at this driving position! :rofl

495490455552728.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:facepalm:

This is me at a recent F event. I am considered one of the more conservative members.